Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ticking Noise

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
hey guys yet again another problem with my 99 VT.

when i start the car sometimes there is a ticking noise (only started this morning) and sometimes when i start it there is no noise, i took a few pictures of where i think the sound is coming from.

100_0324.jpg100_0323.jpg100_0325.jpg

also this is my daily, my new car is not on the road yet. so any help would be awesome

Cheers Dan.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
I did the lifters on my v8 about 12 months ago and it took me about 3 hours. But im not a mechanic so obviously less for anyone with half an idea. I just had to take my valley cover off a everything attached to it, then replace all the lifters which took me ages because i couldn't get the little pricks out and then clean the areas where the gaskets go and she was sweet.. But my cam lobe was rooted and now I have the same problem. So make sure you have a good look at the cam lobes before you replace the lifters.

But in saying all that, someone else may have another idea as to what the issue may be.

[EDIT] I found this for you to read through http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/103808-noisy-lifter-one-more.html

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
I did the lifters on my v8 about 12 months ago and it took me about 3 hours. But im not a mechanic so obviously less for anyone with half an idea. I just had to take my valley cover off a everything attached to it, then replace all the lifters which took me ages because i couldn't get the little pricks out and then clean the areas where the gaskets go and she was sweet.. But my cam lobe was rooted and now I have the same problem. So make sure you have a good look at the cam lobes before you replace the lifters.

But in saying all that, someone else may have another idea as to what the issue may be.

alright, il have the car on the road untill my tax return is ok to drive? i notice it kicks in when the car is cold

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
yeah sounds like my problem. so is it ok to drive? or should i looked into fixing it? just dont want to spend money on a car im taking off the road soon.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
she should be ok, have you checked the oil levels? Make sure their ok and if your really worried drain the old oil and replace it with thicker oil. My car does this in the mornings and then once its warm or I pull the revs up and get the oil pump working it stops.

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
thanks for all your help mate. i will drain oil and put some thicker stuff in tomoro. only need it to last a few more weeks. thanks heaps cheers dan.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
ecotec's are the same as the ls1's that you have to take off the heads to get to the lifters and they use the same lifters, so you will need new head gaskets, personally i wouldnt worry about it mate, noisy lifters are common on most cars. if only the lifters on these engines were as easy as taking the valley cover off like the 5lt ^