Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Renew coolant

Blu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Wagon 3.8
According to 'Gregory's' to drain the cooling system it is necessary to remove the knock sensors from the cylinder block. Is there an easier way to flush the radiator.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Most people don't go to the trouble of removing the knock sensors because it's a pain, but a fair bit of water still remains in the engine. I just flush until clean water comes out and then I add 6 litres of concentrate and then top up with water. That will give you a 50/50 mix since the system holds 12 litres

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
My method was drain, flush until the water draining out is clear, re-fill with clean water, run till warm, drain again. Add enough coolant for the entire specified system capacity then top up with clean water. I'd rather change the coolant twice as often than stuff around removing knock sensors.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
As above, make sure you can get 6 itres of concentrate in. I always use the Nulon Long Life as it lasts longer and does not need the pellets like Holden and Castrol fluids do.

Blu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Wagon 3.8
Thanks for your help.