Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk from front

Dan24

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS
I have a 2002 VX, had a rattle from the front, took it to kmart tyre and aute they said it was loose pins, but the next day theres a clunk, diffrent to the rattle and pretty loud. happens when turning at low speeds and sometimes whe break. any ideas what to look for??

farmerboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX commodore
sway bar maybe, dont quote me, mine is doing something similar

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Probably the sway bar link pins and bushes. Get one of the after market kits with the bent link pins and specially shaped bushes, the Nolathane one looks to be better than the cheaper oes on e-bay as the bushes are shaped better to roll as the steering is turned. Or there is a more expensive one with ball joints top and bottom, depends really on how much you want to spend.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Agree with everyone above, but also depending on the age and distance travelled by the car, possibility of suspension mounts and bearings. This was a problem with mine. Sounded like a clunk coming from near the wheels, occured when there were bumps and then braking hardish. That's a more expensive problem, hopefully it's just sway bar, which it usually is.

Catchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Probably the sway bar link pins and bushes. Get one of the after market kits with the bent link pins and specially shaped bushes, the Nolathane one looks to be better than the cheaper oes on e-bay as the bushes are shaped better to roll as the steering is turned. Or there is a more expensive one with ball joints top and bottom, depends really on how much you want to spend.

I had the problem OP described, I bought the cheaper link pins off ebay and planning on installing them this week.. but your saying i'll most likely have the same problem in 6 months? If so.. i probably should head over to pedders and pick up there links for $50 bucks

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
agreed with above, most likely to be sway bar link or strut top mount and bearing.sway bar you can see if theyre stuffed, strut top watch the top under the bonnet and get someone to bounce front end up and down. did mine recently, bought a front end nolathane kit off ebay for 300, car handles like a race car now!! fixed ALL noises from front end.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I think I need to do what you've done johnno
Have done my sway bar links previously, but I've noticed I still get a knock in the front end somewhere.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The link pins for VX Commodores have a ball joint on the bottom which attaches to the sway bar whereas the top connection to the strut is via the normal washers, cups and nuts. It's a better system but not has good as having a ball joint on both ends. VT I & II have the traditional link pins with washers, cups and washers at both ends. Suggest you jack up your car or run up on stands and have a look at the condition of the washers and ball joints. I replaced only the drop link rubbers in my VX GTS at 52k with Nolathane units and haven't had to do anything to the link pins for the next 58k.