Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake lights not working

beege

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Commodore Executive
I only just found out tonight that my VT brake lights are not working! Only the tail light on the right side works when the headlights are switched on. Faulty bulbs? Switch? Fuse? Advice would greatly be appreciated as I'm a car noob.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
most likely a faulty bulb, if the fuse was blown non of them would work.

get someone to see if both taillights and brake lights (foot on brake) work or not.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Sounds like bulbs. From memory they run dual filament. Brake filament breaks first because obviously it's being used more then the other.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Could be both, the brake is on a different fuse if memory serves. So first of all check your fuses, the ones your are looking for are under the dash, the top 2, 10amp fuses on the left. Now the bulbs as Wraith said are dual filament, and usually about $3 from most servos. To get to the bulbs, pop the boot, and unsrew the 2 screws on the tailight. Gently, but firmly, push the taillights out parralel to the rear of the car. *Be cautious as plastic this old is pretty brittle*
Unscrew the bulb mounts inside and the bulbs are there.
If you're not sure, I'll take some photos and expand this a bit more if you need.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
I doubt all thre bulbs have blown, they might but i doubt it. Unless you havnt checked for a very very long time. Another issue that it could be is the brake switch behind your bake pedal, that was the cause when mine stopped working. There a 5$ part and takes ten mins to replace. But check the bulbs and fuses first..

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I doubt all thre bulbs have blown, they might but i doubt it. Unless you havnt checked for a very very long time. Another issue that it could be is the brake switch behind your bake pedal, that was the cause when mine stopped working. There a 5$ part and takes ten mins to replace. But check the bulbs and fuses first..

cant be fuse if one taillight works.. what can happen is often with the dual filament bulbs is when one pops, it often shorts out the other filament which takes out the side..

need to find out if the brakelights work as aposed to taillights

xeanerix20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac
check fuse first before the bulb. fuse is more easier to check..if the fuse is ok, then that's the time you remove the whole tail light to check the bulb :beer chug:

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
As stated above.
Check fuse first, as its easier. If fuse is fine check lights.
Problem solvered

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
cant be fuse if one taillight works.. what can happen is often with the dual filament bulbs is when one pops, it often shorts out the other filament which takes out the side..

need to find out if the brakelights work as aposed to taillights

yeah good point, but there should be three sperate brake lights? And i was just saying i doubt all three have blown

beege

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Commodore Executive
Well guys, I think I've found the culprit....

20110728114429.jpg

20110728114405.jpg

Fuse and bulb were also blown and the plug on the other side of the car is screwed too. So how much do you reckon I should be paying to get it all fixed up?

2x plugs
At least one new bulb
1x new 10A fuse
Auto electrician labour?

Towing will be free since it's included in my NRMA package.