Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank Angle Sensor

A

angelstar

can anyone tell me what the hell a crank angle sensor is??? i bought a VT 1999 6 months ago and it justs shuts down when driving. the steering goes as do the brakes. My holden dealer has said before that it could be , get ready for this:
~ throttle body
~ignition
~computer
~DFI Module
~one of the plugs
and finally, now a crank angle sensor.
Mind you, all these different things that it possibly could be were told to me not a one time going down there, but each was a SEPARATE occasion!!! and now they reckon that this thing is going to cost me $212.00

can anyone help me?

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
has he diagnosed the problem or is it just a preliminary opinion?

he needs to diagnose the car to draw more solid conclusions. this will cost you money but save you from replacing stuff that works.

if he has diagnosed it and still can't work out what the cause of the problem is, maybe time to find a better mechanic.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
well steering and brakes playing up doesn't sound like cas..

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
The brakes and steering shut down with the engine, being belt and vaccum driven.

The crank angle sensor is a photoelectric 'eye' that is used to sense the position of the crankshaft, so as to compute spark timing and advance. They do play up occasionally, the VL is the worst for it.

Mike

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
happened in my VL and i was stuff on what it was... couldnt start the thing and had to get it towed home. then i find out its a tiny little part which cost me heaps. (cant remember the actual ammount)

W

Waxeater

angelstar said:
can anyone tell me what the hell a crank angle sensor is??? i bought a VT 1999 6 months ago and it justs shuts down when driving. the steering goes as do the brakes. My holden dealer has said before that it could be , get ready for this:
~ throttle body
~ignition
~computer
~DFI Module
~one of the plugs
and finally, now a crank angle sensor.
Mind you, all these different things that it possibly could be were told to me not a one time going down there, but each was a SEPARATE occasion!!! and now they reckon that this thing is going to cost me $212.00

can anyone help me?
I had this problem on my 98 VT Exec too. Just 2 weeks after I bought it.
Broke down in the middle of the freeway. Called NRMA and they diagnosed the Crank angle sensor as the problem.
Had the car towed in for repair, replaced the C.A.S. drove the car 10Ks from the service centre and it broke down again.
Towed back to the mechanic and they had it for over a week before finally diagnosing the Fuel Pump as the problem.
Had that replaced and been driving round without a problem since!

Just my story anyway. It might pay to check the fuel Pump?!?!