Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1jz or 2jz vt conversion?

i8a4re

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore supercharged
hey guys im 100% new to conversions and so on and i have never done underhood modifications except for extracters on my current vt i was just wandering what sort of work id be jumping into aswell as pricing to drop a 1jz twin turbo or a 2jz into my vt and if any1 had to links to really helpful write ups about doing it? would appreciate any help i can get thanks guys.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Mate that conversion would cost you a hell of a lot of money. For less money you could slam a LS1 in there with some change for some go-fast mods or even a F/I setup if your budget could stretch that far.

i8a4re

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore supercharged
well ive got a fair bit to play around with but in saying that im not all for blowing like 20k for a twin turboed vt you know?

but how about this ls1 idea? would it still be able to push like 10 to 11 seconds down the qtr mile with the right amount spent?

Demoniak

Like a pig in kaakaa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE 6.0 SS Ute, 02 VX II SS Sedan
gah....
You are changing a lot of things there, usually engine swaps are easier if you keep to the same displacement.
Example an RB20 swap into an S13 (sr20) is a piece of piss.

What you are doing is going to make it very difficult and you will need to get a lot of stuff custom fabricated (this is where the bucks start comming up)
Also electricals wont all work right.. its just not worth it imo unless you are an autoelectrician and your spouse is a mechanic and your best mate who owes you is a fabricator.

Go with the LS1 swap and put a gen TT kit on it.. will cost prob around 12-14k DIDO.

2J swap with no background... would prob cost around 15-20k (not to mention getting parts for it would be ****)

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
A 1j or 2j swap in a vt is on par with the LS1 as far as difficulty. The power of an LS1 and is nothing compared to the potential of a 1j or 2j.

If you want a car to sound loud then go for the LS1, if you want it to run a lazy 12 with stock engine internals and a turbo upgrade then go for an 1j.

Id recommend 1jz Single turbo set up. The single turbo will allow clearance of your brake booster and you can get serious top end power from it.

The 1jz can handle 1000hp on stock internals and the LS1's don't.

The conversion is easy to do with even basic knowledge and simple tools but I wouldn't be doing it on your own if you have no experience of engines and fabrication.

But in saying that, there is stuff all fabrication involved, engine mounts are easy to make out of thin plywood and then have laser cut out of steel and the gearbox X-member and drive shaft you can have someone knock up for under $400.

Id be doing a heap of internet research over a week or so and then weighing up the odds and http://www.toymods.org.au/site/ is a great place to start, and FFS use their search bar before posting the same question otherwise they will jump all over you.

Call up CRS conversions (google them) and see if they have a kit for you?

The easiest way to do all the conversion for you is to get a half cut, their all over eBay and this way you get the engine, box, ecu, loom and the dash.

You can use the stock dash that comes with the engine so you can eliminate the cost of an auto elec and focus on removing the dash and surrounds to run the new wiring but if it were me if just have him tap into my Holden's ecu so it would still bring up my dash lights and error codes ect....

The power and reliably of a 1j far outweigh any of the Holden engine's which sucks from a Holden fanatics point of view, but push your pride to one side (no pun intended) and the Toyota engine is cheaper, produced more pony's, more reliable and somewhat just as easy if not easier to install.

Once you have the engine in, you can the save up money to quite literally bolt on more horse power, where as the LS1's cant see the same amount of power without removing the engine and having it rebuilt which is massive dollars just to see what a stock 1j can do.

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
So you want a 10-11 sec car but dont wanna spend 20k :p
pick up any supra and spend f-all on it, and you have a 10sec car easily for less then 20k, probably why he is asking about that motor or its school holidays who knows

ParkwayDrv

Slave to the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
pick up any supra and spend f-all on it, and you have a 10sec car easily for less then 20k, probably why he is asking about that motor or its school holidays who knows

Lol. No. He was asking about putting the 1 or 2j in his vt, which is alot different than simply buying a supra.

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
Lol. No. He was asking about putting the 1 or 2j in his vt, which is alot different than simply buying a supra.
if you actually read what i wrote, your reply would make sense, but lets break it down for you as you appear to be simple, i was saying you can spend less on a supra with that same motor and spend less then 20k and have a 10sec car, which he has probably heard of before, hence why i wrote its probably why he is asking about that motor.

now to OP, i have never heard of 1j or 2j conversion for a vt, but is that because its too hard/expensive, or is it because no one has been game enough to try it, i dont know the answer to that, i personally would be worried how a boat would handle the power of a 1j or 2j