Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

pcv valve mod

pimpmyvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s-pac
Hey guys just wondering if its fine to put a stopper in place of a pcv valve and use a filter vent on the rocker cover?? mainly cos i dont like the fact im getting hot air and oil in the manifold..

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It is fine to do as far as the engine goes, but it is illegal as any crankcase gases cannot vent to the atmosphere.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
It is fine to do as far as the engine goes, but it is illegal as any crankcase gases cannot vent to the atmosphere.

Wrong, it is harmfull to your engine as the whole point of the PCV is to release harmfull gases from the crankcase including water vapour which includes dissolved chemical combustion byproducts.

pimpmyvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s-pac
Wrong, it is harmfull to your engine as the whole point of the PCV is to release harmfull gases from the crankcase including water vapour which includes dissolved chemical combustion byproducts.

uhh i think you may of high horsed it a bit. it still gets relesed just not into the intake... read b4 u rant

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
uhh i think you may of high horsed it a bit. it still gets relesed just not into the intake... read b4 u rant

Im on a high horse because Im right?

And I think you need to read he said put a stopper in place of the PCV valve which prevents it being released. The PCV system requires vacuum to work properly, a filter to the atmosphere doesnt create vacuum does it?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hey guys just wondering if its fine to put a stopper in place of a pcv valve and use a filter vent on the rocker cover?? mainly cos i dont like the fact im getting hot air and oil in the manifold..

The hot air your getting in the intake manifold would barely register so wouldn't even worry about it.

The oil is another matter, though venting to the atmosphere is illegal so perhaps you should look into a catch can. That way at least you are legal.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid

ahhh, the guy was planning on venting to the atmosphere hence those gasses would be removed from the crankcase negating your arguement completly.
Not an abba fan was correct in what he said, if he replaces the PCV system with an atmospherically vented rocker cover then WILL BE NO IMPACT TO THE ENGINE.. just its against the law.

As suggested, a catch can setup is the way to go.

aZk.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The PCV valve is not the only opening into the crankcase for blowby gasses to escape through. Theres also the air inlet pipe or "engine vent pipe" that supplies the fresh filtered air into the crankcase where it does the job of scavenging any blowby gasses escaping past the rings. Any gasses etc that are scavenged will then get sucked up through the PCV and then fed into the inlet manifold where they are then consumed in the combustion process.
The workshop manuals also say that if the blowby gasses exceed the maximum volume that the PCV can handle, either because of a worn engine, or when the engine is running under extremely heavy loads, then the blowby, as well as being sucked in through the PCV , will also be vented back through the engine vent pipe that usually supplies the fresh air into the crankcase, it can then be drawn into the engines intake air where it can consumed in the combustion process.
Years ago, I used to see a lot of engines that had a pipe that just vented the crankcase fumes to the atmosphere, which was obviously not good for the enviroment, so they came up with the idea of sealing up the crankcase, introducing fresh air into the crankcase and then drawing it out again through the PCV valve to keep a constant flow of frech air through the engines crankcase for scavenging purposes.
If a crankcase was completely closed off to the atmosphere with no PCV system working, then the engine will most likely build up too much positive crankcase pressure and blow out an oil seal.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Vent both rockers to a catch can with a filter on top. Change your oil every 5000km and no need to worry about moisture buildup. Avoid cluey police lol

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
or just leave it how it is dont worry about it as the 0.000001kw gain is not worth your brain energy