Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT II SS or VX SS?

timothy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II SS
In the near future I'll be purchasing my first V8 which I hope to be either a VT II SS or VX SS (series I or II) with a manual transmission. I actually like the look of the VT SS better than the VX SS and seeing that they are a few grand cheaper I'd prefer the VT II SS.

As I've researched the differences, a lot of people say to spend the extra money and get the VX as it is better. Fair enough, but what makes it better? I'm not talking about exterior/body differences, just everything else.

Some differences I have read about so far - the VX SS has an LS6 intake manifold (I'm sure this would take much to install on a VT SS), the VX's doors are designed differently making them lighter but also safer (something like a total of 50kg lighter from the VX II to VT II), the camber/suspension issue was fixed in the series II VX (could a VX series II suspension be put in a VT?).

I also read that the tail shaft is actually stronger in the VT SS though?

Is there any other differences? Would I be better buying the VT SS (seeing as I like the look better) then spending the extra cash fixing the above issues and/or other modifications?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
series II vx ss had a different manifold series I still had the LS1 manifold... not hard to swap over just hard to find at a reasonable price(might as well go after market)

i just finished putting a VZ rear subframe assembly in my VX SS and is a good upgrade suspention wise(no more camber issues).... the frame assebly only cost $550

unless your chasing 10th of a second down the quarter mile i wouldnt worrie about the 50kg lighter doors.

i know they had a lot of issues with the series II VT LS1's burning oil.. problem got fixed in VX

wouldnt worrie to much about the tail shaft as i have 310rwkw and hammer it everyday and never had a problem.(never heard of anyone else have trouble either)

hope that helps

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
^^^ He is asking about VT-VX not VZ...

I would go the VX as you said better side impact ( also standard with side impact airbags i believe ) plus being newer is always a good thing....

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
this is my personal theory, whenever they bring out something new, its not going to be as good as the refined models, eg a series II. Your suggesting buying a vt ss and using the vx ss series two camber upgrade and the intake and that, would it be worth spending the extra how ever much and knowing its already there and you dont have to worry about fiddling later on? my theory could be complete bs by the way lol.

timothy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II SS
Vz has black interior trim, VT has grey.

Do you mean VX? or do you actually mean VZ...
I used to have a VT and currently have a VX and didn't notice any colour change but maybe I just didn't notice it...

timothy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II SS
this is my personal theory, whenever they bring out something new, its not going to be as good as the refined models, eg a series II. Your suggesting buying a vt ss and using the vx ss series two camber upgrade and the intake and that, would it be worth spending the extra how ever much and knowing its already there and you dont have to worry about fiddling later on? my theory could be complete bs by the way lol.

Yeah your right, obviously the newer models/series would have improvements but currently on car sales for a black VT SS II they are around 4-5k cheaper than a black VX SS II. Also if I got a VX I'd be spending money on it to get a VT rear bar (hate those reflectors) and probably get the full VT rear lights/garnish (I actually like the look of a clean rear VT) so that's a bit of money there.

I'm trying to work out what will be better overall for the look I want.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
not sure how they fixed it but they had a lot of teething problems with the first of the LS1's

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
I have exactly the same opinion as the OP. i think the look of the series 2 vt is much better. ( IMO )

I think the ls1s that had oil issues were mostly fixed on a recall back when the issue happened.

A mate of mine has s vx series 1 ss and to tell the truth, it is a much much nicer car. Everything in the interior just feels newer. very hard to describe, but getting into my series 1 vt s, was not pleasant, after seeing how nice his looked.

The Black interior seems to have been an option on the vx series 2, as not all seem to have it, but I think it is well worth it. If you think you can get used to the look of the front spoiler being slightly different and the tail lights and rear reflectors looking odd, i would say go the vx series 2. The camber issues were meant to have been fixed up in the series 2, with control arms on the rear k frame.

i think this simply got the camber issues " under control".

The Vt series 1 and 2 seems to have matched the original design that the shape of the car was meant for in my opinion. I think every step after this was a step towards the VT squared off design. If you buy the original, starting adding up how much you will spend on it to get it to where you want it, and even though the parts are relatively inexpensive, you may be surprised at the cost.

the one other thing I should mention is somethings are just not worth trying to upgrade from all that I have read on here. IE climate control. You will find this in a vx s2, but try to find someone that has done the upgrade to a vt and recommends doing it. Some of the add ons, are simply worth having to put up with the look of the reflectors in the bumper bar. perhaps Calais vx taillights have the reflectors on the unit them selves?