Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT jumping at 80-90khs

Lowjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS commodore Executive
Hey guys,

recentley purchased a VT series II 2000 model commodore.

When im driving (power switch off) from 80-90 im getting a miss in the engine which is resulting in some pretty hard pressure in the rear tailshaft and diff. The car just doesn't want to creep through those speeds. If i plant it from 80-100 it's fine but when im cruising im having big trouble. Im thinking along the lines of fuel pump but im really after some knowledge if anyone can give me some tips. Also with the power switch on i don't get this problem at all.

When im accelerating and hit around 80 the car is pretty much jolting but not wanting to go, heard a couple strange noises sounded like tailshaft jolting, have to release my foot and then give it to it to be able to accelerate anymore, biggest problem is hills. cong cong cong kk cong lol .... Im assuming it's something to do with fuel getting to the engine iether not enough or too much but i only have basic knowledge of engines and need help without spending big bucks and going to the piad proffesionals.

the car is due for a service in 600 khs but im not sure this will fix this problem.
any ifno would be great cheers ..

Last edited:

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
basics

I would start with the basics go over and check all ignition leads look for any wear and tear, spark plugs, check colour of the oil it should not be a milky white colour and how much fluid is in the radiater.Also check trans fluid and colour if its black and burnt prob time to get tranny serviced.I had this prob with my VX only happened underload though i.e. climbing hills it turned out to be a faulty ignition lead that had i checked would of saved me a bit of money.If you have already done all of this then its prob time to find a good mechanic.

Last edited:

Lowjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would start with the basics go over and check all ignition leads look for any wear and tear, spark plugs, check colour of the oil. and how much fluid is in the radiater.Also check trans fluid and colour if its black and burnt prob time to get tranny serviced.I had this prob with my VX only happened underload though i.e. climbing hills it turned out to be a faulty ignition lead that had i checked would of saved me a bit of money.

Thanks very much for your quick response. I'll try that first thing tommorow

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
no probs

Thats o.k. mate hope it helps:thumbsup:also just have a look and see if any wires have been knocked loose.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had the same problem when i first bought my car. Gave it a service as you should do straight away to any second hand car you buy (kind of like a fresh start). Problem fixed!!

Change:
Air filter
Oil and oil filter
Plugs
Inspect leads and change if necessary
Tranny service
Fuel filter
Check diff oil and top up if necessary
Top up fluids if necessary
Check if your brake pads arent too low
Maybe a Pedders 14 point check
(I may have forgotten a few things)

But the things that could cause your problem would be either ignition or fuel or a combination of the two. So plugs and or leads and or fuel filter.

Hope this helps.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also your injectors should be cleaned every 100 000kms so you might want to take a look at that. My guess is even though you may be way over the 100 000kms mark or even 200 000kms mark your injectors have never been cleaned. Most people neglect them.

Lowjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
will give the car a full service on monday. Hoping that cures the problem ;-) im also going to have a look at cleaning the air censors incase the problem is air related when the cars jumping im guessing either too much or not enough or air or fuel. i have a look at cleaning the injectors hoping to as much of it myself as i can just to save my pocket a bit till after christmas
I appreciate all your input guys and i'll post the fix to this situation when i find the problem

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
air

Be careful cleaning any censors not saying your stupid.:thumbsup:

Kackybum

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Commodore Sportwagon Auto 2009 VE
Great feedback guys. I have similar prob with my SV6 VE 2009 Auto. Plant foot, all good. Cruising, it constantly splutters, especially up hills. Mechanic ran diagnostics and could not find anything. Refilled twice on empty, still issue. I will check ignition and injectors.