Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Over Heat

ant142

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Acclaim
Hi guys,

My VT was over heating. I checked the radiator and it was very low. I took the time to flush out the radiator and place new coolant in. Now I seem to have lost the heater and have a drip coming from the engine side of the black tube on passengers side of car.

How could I fix these issues?

Thanks,
Anthony

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heater tap is on the drivers side just above the rail. Get someone to move the heater dial from hot to cold while you sus out the heater tap. If it doesnt move, move the mechanism buy hand a few times it may have gotten stuck. If that doesnt fix it, replace it (its only a $20 part).

Im guessing the hose you described is the bottom radiator hose? Did you take this off during the flush? Make sure the hose clamp is tight. Sometimes when you fiddle around with an old hose it may get a crack/split as they aren't as flexible anymore. So replace that as well.

Im hoping you bled the system? If not, do it after you fix the heater and leak.
-(assuming you dont know how) Turn the heater on full and hot.
-Ensure overflow is full.
-Open radiator cap.
-Turn car on.
-Loosen bleed screw on thermostat housing.
-Fill coolant in radiator as level drops.
-When coolant starts to over flow from radiator cap thing replace cap.
-When steady coolant starts to flow out of bleed screw tighten that up.
-For the next few days, in the morning and when the engine is cold, top up coolant in radiator and overflow bottle.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Hi guys,

My VT was over heating. I checked the radiator and it was very low. I took the time to flush out the radiator and place new coolant in. Now I seem to have lost the heater and have a drip coming from the engine side of the black tube on passengers side of car.

How could I fix these issues?

Thanks,
Anthony[/QUOTE

I'm guessing he's talking about the air con drain tube. If so, heater core is shagged. Good luck.

ant142

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Acclaim
My heater settled over the last two weeks. I left it home and found alternative transport during Xmas. I talked to a mechanic today and he said that I need to replace the thermostat. Would you it's know if there is somewhere I may be able to pick one up on Sunday??

Thanks for your help.

ant142

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Acclaim
The leak is coming from the black hose on the bottom passengers side i'll look at getting a replacement for that also.