Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes question

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
hey guys just put new pads and rotors all round on my car.

quick question how long should it take to wear them in? like as in stop squeaking? ive drove and tested the brakes at different speeds and everything. are there any tip/hints i should do to stop the squeaking?

cheers.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey mate, they shouldn't squeak when they are new. But from what I have learned with the brakes on my WH Statesman, if you adjust the handbrake too much then it causes a squeaking noise, so I just backed it off a bit and it stopped. But one other thing you can try is roughening up the brake pads and rotors with sand paper or similar, that usually stops the squeaking. It could be the linings as well. What brand of brakes and rotors did you put on?

spray them with wd40?

:hmmm: :banstick:

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
yeah i have noticed my handbrake was adjusted a fair bit, might have to adjust back a bit.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hey mate, they shouldn't squeak when they are new. But from what I have learned with the brakes on my WH Statesman, if you adjust the handbrake too much then it causes a squeaking noise, so I just backed it off a bit and it stopped. But one other thing you can try is roughening up the brake pads and rotors with sand paper or similar, that usually stops the squeaking. It could be the linings as well. What brand of brakes and rotors did you put on?

:hmmm: :banstick:

Err... if they are new they are squeaking because they are not bedded properly. before you ask, google it or do a search on here.

Sanding isn't a good idea for 2 reasons.

1. You are pointlessly damaging the braking surface on the rotor
2. You end up back to square one in regards to bedding the brakes

EDIT:

I did the googling for you, see this link for some info about the why and how:
Instructions for bedding in your brakes

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Yep, don't sand rotors, it also brings graphite to the surface which prevents the pads from bedding. I've just sent an almost exact version of the below via PM to someone else:

Few questions:
- Were the pads installed on new or machined rotors, or rotors which had previously had another pad's material on it. If you had a previous pad on those rotors, what was it?
- What was the bedding in process?
- How many k's were on the pads before you started spraying CRC? CRC basically stops the pads bedding in, so once sprayed, if the noise doesn't go away, it will never go away...

The other suggestion there is with VT-VZ front pads (which are notorious for noise) is to bend up the two small tabs a little further. Often those tabs aren't bent up high enough, and the large strap that goes across the caliper isn't putting enough pressure on the inside pad.

But to be honest I'd say it will be related to the last set of pads you ran on those rotors if they weren't machined. That's far and away the most common cause of noise post-asbestos days...

Your case is a little different as you've got new rotors but you get the idea...

Last edited:

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Ok sorry, I didn't know that your not supposed to do that, I have been told to do it heaps of times at work, also to the clutch flywheel so they don't have to get it machined.

But still, the handbrake does cause a squeaking noise if it adjusted too much.

Don't know why no-one said anything about HoldenV8's post, if someone actually listened to him that didn't know much about cars, who knows what could happen.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Don't know why no-one said anything about HoldenV8's post, if someone actually listened to him that didn't know much about cars, who knows what could happen.
Ignorance is bliss lol

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Ok sorry, I didn't know that your not supposed to do that, I have been told to do it heaps of times at work, also to the clutch flywheel so they don't have to get it machined.

But still, the handbrake does cause a squeaking noise if it adjusted too much.

You commented on it, I think that was enough.

Plus the fact that I think it's safe to assume most people would know he was just being silly while the advice you provided could was more likely to be acted on.

Next question, where do you work? Please tell me it's not for a workshop because whoever is telling you this is potentially putting peoples lives in danger.

Not your fault obviously since you were told to do it.