Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cost Of Service For Vx Calais By Holden Problem

S

Sherman

Ok guys I have this question on the real benefits of having your car serviced by Holden. Ok here goes- I had recently bought my VX Calais 2000 model and it came up to the 80,000km service. So being a new car I booked it in for service at Barloworld Holden, Glen Waverley here in Victoria (Formerly Geoff Braidey). I had a list of problems that needed to be rectified also- Front Headlamps dim including fog lamp on drivers side, Electric antennae clicking when it goes up and driverside electric seat has slight movement (Rocks forward and back a little). So I booked it in for 7am morning. However instead of going home I stayed their in their plush lounge watching television and reading magazines. Roughly about 1030am I was told that the brake pads needed to be changed front and rears. A total of 397 bucks was charged for this on top of the intial service. Then the electric antnnea mast needed to be replaced 136 bucks for this and then lastly the front drivers seat needed to have the runners replace which would cost about 500 bucks. I told them to do everything except for the runner replacement shocked at the price.

All was going fine when I was expecting to take the car home about midday. I was told that the the headlight dim and foglight would take sometime as it was an electrical problem- and if I wanted to go home and comeback this afternoon. I said Nup I will just wait in the lounge till everthing was done. It took about 2 hours to rectify and as you can see the workshop from the lounge, I was able to spectate what the mechanic was actually doing to my car. I noticed that he was walking around here and their taking his time and occasionally glancing at me watching. After he had finsihed he drove it out of the workshop. I had to wait about another half hour wondering what had happened to the car before I decided to ask what was happening. The car had actuallly finished and was parked at the rear. Anyway the total cost of this service and rectifying everything that I said except for the seat runner was $951.45c. It all went on my plastic card- and buy god by the time I left I was in a bit of anxiety and shock. Even to tell the Misses about how much it cost to do the service.

Well anyway 2 weeks later the front headlamp and fog light went dim again, but instead of taking it to Holden, I popped into my local mechanic of whom I had always serviced my other cars. All up within 5 minutes he changed a blown fuse and the front drivers headlamp bulb for free. But five minutes was taken for this job-- So what the hell were those Holden shits doing for almost 2 hours??? Labour was charged by Holden at $416.50. Since these buggers I presume are paid by the hour I feel that they just took their time to fix a simple problem so they can charge their exsoberant prices. I feel that I have been a sucker in going to Holden in the first place. After this intial disheartenedment I will no longer service my car at Holden except get it done at a third party mechanic at less that half the cost. Am I being to critical at Holden (Barloworld/Geoff Bradey)? or is it this specific dealer charging what hee feels like charging? Please give me your opinion on this matter and if you really do think I have been somewhat ripped off.....

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
dealers are arrogant. i recommend trying a friendly independent operator - they tend to value your custom.

R

Robbie

Ouch.. That's a bit harsh... I got new pads, FE2 fitted, machined disks, 130 000km service, wheel allighnment.. I think that;s all.. for $630 an dthe guy picked my car up and delivered it back to me..

If there is anyone in Newcastle that wants a great mechanic PM me.... The guy is fair dinkum and you know you can trust him. He's olso great with the elderly.

Cheers,

Robbie

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (Robbie @ Mar 19 2004, 11:59 AM) He's olso great with the elderly.
you mean he connects well with old folks or he does work on old cars?

S

Sherman

Well I guess I have been had. So thats the last time I am going to Holden again. I personally think its a lack of respect and they probably think that cash is grown on trees. The sad thing about the whole situation is I really earn my money through hard work staying up for nightshifts etc.. and to be ripped off really hurts.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
What you gotta remember about dealers are :

1. They don't make that much money on a new car sale, its the services that they make a lot of money on. They know that 9/10 new car customers will come to them for services.

2. Most general service mechanics are apprentices who really don't have the experience or knowledge that some of your smaller service stations do.

I never take my car to the dealer, but I would reccomend taking it there until your warranty is up.

The other benefit of taking it to a dealer is that you can put what you just wrote here into a letter and send it to Holden's headoffice and I wouldn't be surprised if you get the seat problem sorted out for free.

With the brakes, you tell them not to worry about replacing them and then goto another place and they would have done it for about 1/2 the price.

Hard luck bud - you live you learn eh?

S

Sherman

Well ha I sure did learn from the buggers-Ouch burnt once twice shy I guess.

Thanks for your response

R

Robbie

QUOTE (jules @ Mar 19 2004, 01:26 PM) QUOTE (Robbie @ Mar 19 2004, 11:59 AM) He's olso great with the elderly.
you mean he connects well with old folks or he does work on old cars?
Lol,

He connects with the old folks.. Picks the cars up, drops them off and doesn't rip them off.

Cheers,

Robbie

P

Prodigee

I'm about to have my VT go in for it's 140000k service.

If the holden dealers are gonna rip me off, i'll take it somewhere else.

But where?

I've heard Ultratune are pretty good with commodores, but is there anywhere else to go? I don't really want to take it to my local guy, as i'm sure all he knows about new cars is what the workshop manual tells him. (He's great with carby's, but wouldn't know what a Engine Management Computer was if you threw one at him!)

Can anyone recommend someone in the eastern suburbs of melbourne?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Ultratune if they keep to the handbook etc and record it in the log book.

If not Holden would be the way to go.