Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Power Train ?

trademark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S/W
Driving at 110 km/h, suddenly I lose power on my VX. Engine starts to lightly splutter, and maximum speed I can drive is 80 km/h, even though the revs stay quite high. After a while, the "Check Power Train" engine light comes on. I stop and restart the car ... it proceeds with no problems.

I spoke with the local Holden dealer, and was told to just keep driving, if it happens again, then let them know. It happened again about a month later, and after taking it in to Holden, they could'nt seem to find anything out of the ordinary after searching for codes.

Now, the car goes okay, although still regularly splutters at about 100 km/h and doesn't seem to have the same kind of power as usual.

Could it be ...

slightly blocked fuel injectors ?
an electrical fault ?
a transmission fault ?

If anyone has any advice ... it would be much appreciated.
Thanks !
TM

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
leads........if when the car is warmed up and you try to eccelerate it kinda plutters a little..........i had the same prob...it was a dadgy lead playing up....its commen....the reason the mech couldnt find anything is that you can realy see am intermitent fault in 1 lead............i would say change your leads and see how yoy go......if you have changed them lately it may not be the leads...........if you havnt had them changed for a while i would say start with your leads.....ive seen 4 or 5 people in the forum have the same kind of prob that you had ( myself included) and it turned out to be the leads.ps as for the power train light that could be somthing all to gether differant...................hope this helps you out.......( ps if it aint the leads at least you can x them of the list....................cheeers mate take it easy and have a good one...............

trademark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S/W
Will replace the leads

Thanks ... yeah, I think you could be right on the leads. Have only had the car for a few months, but know that they weren't replaced on the last service. I will replace the leads (and the spark plugs), and see if there's a difference. Cheers ... have a good one !

B

Bondy21

Same Problem

I got the same problem as you mate. Drivin along with cruise control and the engine light comes on. Can still sit on 110 but makes overtaking very slow and almost impossible. Car becomes very sluggish too when goin thru town. Turn off and restart and problem goes away. Very strange. Took it to a mechanic and he said no code came up on the computer, so we did a few things and changed the spark plugs, fixed it for a bit and then it came back just on sunday.

Any ideas?

S

steve_o_85

i get the light that comes on for a while then turn off on the hiway as well but the car still performs fine but gets anoying after awhile of turning on the off again