Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Rear Shocks

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Hey guys, bought myself a Gregory's the other day and am looking to tackle more and more nagging issues on my VT.

Wiper Assembly is done.

I need to replace my rear shock absorbers. Looking for recommendations on some tools, that will be used not just for this job but hopefully in the future.

Can someone suggest an appropriate Torque Wrench for use on the VT's?
I need a set of stands, again, has anyone found a good and useful set and where I might get these tools.

Finally *flame suit* I want to replace the shocks (which are original) with a new set that are 98 EXECUTIVE STOCK HEIGHT. I do not in anyway, want my car lower. If someone could point out where to get these, don't mind going to Holden if I have to.

Thanks for that guys.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
I'm assuming 2000kg stands would be sufficient for a VT?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
shocks wont change your vehicle ride height.

Depending on what your willing to pay will determine how good of shock you get KYB are good but on the expensive side their ride is quite frim. If you want a cheaper option i bought ultimas once and they were quite good considering theyre like $100 a pair.

Commodore VP VR VS VT VX VY VZ Sedan ULTIMA Rear Shock Absorbers | eBay

I never bothered using torque wrench when doing rear shocks never had one come loose yet

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'm assuming 2000kg stands would be sufficient for a VT?
A VT weighs around 1700kg and two stands are really only holding half the weight of the vehicle, so those stands will do fine.
Standard shocks for a VT are Monroe shocks, try Holden they might not be that expensive there. You can get Monroe shocks at Supercheap and most auto accessory places.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
shocks wont change your vehicle ride height.

I never bothered using torque wrench when doing rear shocks never had one come loose yet

Oh ok, so it's the springs that change the ride height? Yay learning more :)

Fair enough on the wrench, but I figured I will need one at some point and may as well get one now to do this job all by the book, do you know what type I would need?

A VT weighs around 1700kg and two stands are really only holding half the weight of the vehicle, so those stands will do fine.
Standard shocks for a VT are Monroe shocks, try Holden they might not be that expensive there. You can get Monroe shocks at Supercheap and most auto accessory places.

Thanks Accentstencil, are these what I should be getting?

Monroe Shock Absorber Gt Gas 25-3632 - Supercheap Auto Australia

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
While shocks wont affect ride height they should be matched to the springs ie shorter travel shocks for lower springs.

So if the car currently has standard suspension the standard height shocks will suit fine.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
While shocks wont affect ride height they should be matched to the springs ie shorter travel shocks for lower springs.

So if the car currently has standard suspension the standard height shocks will suit fine.

Springs are unchanged from factory, all freeway kms, it's only now the shocks are in bad nick.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V