Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How often is the fuel filter meant to be replaced

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
For an 02 3.8L, my car has been acting funny the past 2 weeks and I remembered the fuel filter hasn't been changed in like nearly 2 years.

I do oil and filter every 10,000kms and I did plugs and leads a couple of months ago and air filter needs to be changed as its dirty

But yeah how often should the fuel filter be changed??

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
In the owners manual (service intervals), it says to replace the Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Spark Plugs every 40,000kms.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
fuel filter = $15 bucks

I replace my oil ever 5-10,000kms and i also change the fuel filter at the same time as the oil filter. Its cheap as and a 5 min job. Just remember its what keeps the **** outta your injectors/motor

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
I always do my fuel filter at the same time I do my oil, it's cheap and easier to replace so why not. That's every 5000kms

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Yeah well I do everything else as frequently as possible as I do a lot of k's per week.

But the fuel filter has slipped my mind everytime I do service it for some reason. Might just buy one tomorrow and throw it up on the hoist if they are that cheap aha

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
For an 02 3.8L, my car has been acting funny the past 2 weeks and I remembered the fuel filter hasn't been changed in like nearly 2 years.

I do oil and filter every 10,000kms and I did plugs and leads a couple of months ago and air filter needs to be changed as its dirty

But yeah how often should the fuel filter be changed??

How is it acting funny? What are the symptoms?
If your fuel filters clogged, the only symptom will be the car will not go fast.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Was driving into the city one day at like mid day, about 30km's into the drive I was at a set of lights and idle which should be at 900rpm dropped down to about 600rpm
And made the car shudder a little bit, the idle went up and down a couple of times.. When I took off iy cough and spluttered for a couple of seconds then it was fine

I am only thinking fuel filter as everything else is fairly new

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
$7 for a fuel filter, definitely changing that tomorrow and I will see how the car goes after that