Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS Starter

Anglosaxon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2
Anyone know anything about VT Gen 3 starter motors? my SS has had this intermittent problem for a year now where every now and then the starter just clicks once when you turn the key but wont turn, after checking everything else I decided to take the starter out, and what a s#$t job that is, I've dismantled it and multimeter tested the armature, cleaned everything, it all looks fine to me. Anyone know any problems they have? I'm thinking its probably stupid to risk putting it back in huh?

bradzhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5litre aussie hydrolic roller worked
if it slowly has gotten worse it may be the wiring to the starter motor, or your battery is slowly loosing its crank amps, u could check the solernoid in the starter moter or if any cracks internally on inside casing, before re installing hook it up to ur batterery but be carefull of course, an check the performance of it, try a few times, an check right over flexplate, might as well whill down there, good luck

Anglosaxon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2
Yeah it has got worse, it used to just happen once in a blue moon but now it happens heaps, pretty sure its not the battery because I just keep turning the key and all of a sudden it just cranks as normal and starts. I've listened under the hood while turning the key when it happens I can hear the solenoid throw the pinion drive ok but the starter just doesnt crank, so I'm guessing its either the contact in the back of the solenoid or the armature/commutator, I multimeter tested the armature for continuity and shorts it seems ok but then it has been an intermittent problem, its a prick of a thing to get in and out so I'm not keen to stick it back in without really finding a problem, might just bite the bullet and get a new one,,

Cheers,,

SE85VT

LOVE MY VT LOVE AUSTRALIA
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 V6 VT BERLINA
Hey mate mine had the exact same problem i read a thread on here, tap the starter moter with a rubber malet or your fist lol and it works fine worked a treat and has not done it for about 5 months now he wrote somthing about a gear tilting and when you hit it it strigtens and fixes the problem but yeah exact same problem as mine

Anglosaxon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2
Ah the old smack it with a mallet trick! Wish i could mate but you cant even see the starter on a gen 3 its tucked under the right hand exhaust manifold and steering rack, with a heat shield over it as well, absolute b#@$^d to get at,,

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Ah the old smack it with a mallet trick! Wish i could mate but you cant even see the starter on a gen 3 its tucked under the right hand exhaust manifold and steering rack, with a heat shield over it as well, absolute b#@$^d to get at,,
I was going to remove my starter motor because I have a similar problem but it is always only one click, the first turn of the key and then it will start with the next turn. This will happen for a few days and the disappear for weeks or months and return again for another few days. Like I said I was going to pull out the starter and give it a bit of a service, but it was such a pain that I decided to leave it until I had no choice. That was about 6 months ago. I had to remove the alternator the other day, that was a major operation as well, The LS1 is not easy to work on.