Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 constantly missing under acceleration

BrentVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim wagon. Subaru Liberty 4WD wagon
As the subject says, the engine is missing constantly under moderate to heavy acceleration, sometimes even under light acceleration, and the problem is slowly becoming worse. My first guess is I have a rooted spark plug lead?? Or could it be more complex then this...MAF sensor?
Any idea's?
Cheers

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
New plugs and leads are always worth a try. Even if it's not the problem it sounds like you havn't replaced them for a while/ever. Even make sure existing leads are connected correctly and firmly.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
after changing leads and plugs its worth checking the PURGE HOSE and a throttle body clean would be good too.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
could be one of your coil packs on the way out

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
BrentVR said:
As the subject says, the engine is missing constantly under moderate to heavy acceleration, sometimes even under light acceleration, and the problem is slowly becoming worse. My first guess is I have a rooted spark plug lead?? Or could it be more complex then this...MAF sensor?
Any idea's?
Cheers

Could be leads,plugs or one of the coil packs.Look VERY closely for a hair line crack.

R

rick'o

Would you believe it? Mine has started doing exactly the same thing.

lisatpn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 1997 Holden Commodore
Car spluttering cleared by itself after 2 months use

:w00t: I had the worst problem with my vt 1997 holden spluttering and jerking along the road for over 2 months. it started gradually, got worse and then it just cleared by itself - thank god. i too thought it was spark plugs, leads and petrol pump. :)

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
VT's and VX commodores had problems with there fuel pumps,breaking down causing power loss/starting issues and missfires underload problems.Was due to the fuelpump harness and connector.They also had problems with the fuel send unit too.Saying that there would be more or less fuel that was actually in the tank.But a common thing to happen on VT's is the dirty air flow will cause a miss under accleration.Give that a clean and see how you go.
Also another thing id like to mention we fitted a new fuel pump and fuel sender assembly to a VZ with the alloytec motor.These fuel pump setups and very different to your VT VX VY setups,because they have the fuel reg in the fuel sender pump unit in the tank.And its near impossible to check fuel pressure on a VZ,but i spose there would have to be a way,will find out.

tjp445

SonicBoom
Reaction score
Website
s179.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VT, Auto all stock for now muuhaha..
mine has started doing the same thing now what can i do i just had the car full serviced 4weeks ago got new plugs n leads but can funny thing is my RPM is sitting at 2,000 now on idle whats going on here?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
New plugs and leads are always worth a try. Even if it's not the problem it sounds like you havn't replaced them for a while/ever. Even make sure existing leads are connected correctly and firmly.

Before you go and buy new leads why not remove them and check them with a multimeter? They may not be the problem. There resistance must be within a certain range which you can find in a workshop manual.
As well as the leads check for a cracked spark plug.