Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel controls/clock spring question

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
Ok so I have one of these Chinese knock-offs car DVD/GPS/Radio/Mp3 etc 8inch touchscreen players and I bought a clockspring with the extra connector to install the steering wheel controls to the radio.

Note: I have tested the steering wheel controls by directly wiring up the controls bypassing the clockspring and they wok perfectly with the head unit.

The connector in my VT going to the new clockspring doesn't have pins 3 & 4 (which are for the radio controls). I had a bit of a look at trying to solder wires directly from pin 3 & 4 from the clock spring to the 2 wires at the back of the radio for the steering wheel controls but that failed so my question is what's my best option?

Could I get a connector from the wreckers from a vt/vx that had steering whel controls and cut/connect the wires there already then just connect the wires 3 & 4 to the 2 wires on the back of the radio for steering wheel controls?.

Lazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vlct & ve ssv sportwagon
hey mate was this as simple as connecting the 2 wires from the clock spring plug to the 2 wires on the headunit to get it working ??

Cheers

Larry

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
It depends what brand of radio for example my radio had an earth, "steering 1" & "steering 2" wires. I had to test the 2 steering wires with the red wire on the controls then set the buttons in the settings menu on the touch screen.

Lazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vlct & ve ssv sportwagon
cheers for replying mate..... so out of the 2 s/w control wires and the earth u only used 1 s/w/c wire and the earth ??? im looking at a unit similar to what u have but i have noticed some have only the 2 s/w/c wires..

Larry

Lazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vlct & ve ssv sportwagon
Thanx for all your help mate... Just need to decide on a headunit now