Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tail light replacement questions. (Unique questions)

gysenn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Executive S2
Hi guys. I've got a Series II VT executive, and just bought a new set of tail lights.

The lights are the common black altezza 'monaro' lights.

First of all, I've seen a lot of people saying that the left reverse light doesn't work when you do this change over, and you have to run an extra cable to fix it. Is this true? Is this in all cases, or is it just a problem some people are having? Any tips on what to do / how to do it?

Secondly, about ten minutes ago I finally figured out how to pop out the stock lights. I put the new lights in place, only to find that the connection cable won't fit through the hole. What's the best way to make the hole bigger?

As I'm sure you can tell, I have absolutely zero modification or electrics knowledge, so go easy on me haha.

Oh, and no responses about changing the boot garnish thanks. I think it looks great alongside the black lights, and I plan to leave it there.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/1558-monaro-taillights.html

You have to run a wire from the right reversing light to the left apparently.

As per thread

I think I did mention somewhere how to run the extra wire...but it may have been on another forum???

Anyway its not that hard. Just trace the wire to the reverse globe on the RH side that works, back into the factory loom. I was lucky that I didnt have to cut my loom because when the dealer fitted the tow bar he had already done this to install the trailer plug so I had an exposed loom to work with anyway. Just pull away a little of the insulation if u need to splice in (NO towbar fitted) and join in a length of wire of similar size to the reverse wire. Ideally you should SOLDER this connection then bind it up with insul tape after to do a professional job. Then remove the plastic panel that runs along the inside of the boot at the rear (attached with screws). You may need to pull back the carpet also to give a bit more room to work on both sides. Run the wire in behind this panel to hide it neatly. The light fitting on the left will most likely have no pin in the plastic plug as VT's didnt need it. I just neatly tinned (Soldered) the wire on the end to make a pin and pushed this into the corresponding empty slot and it makes contact no problems with the socket in the actual new tail light loom supplied with the lights.

I think thats pretty well it. It really is easy and the extra wire only took less than half hour to install. Contact me if you get stuck or cant follow the above. I could take pics if you or anyone gets real stuck.

Peter X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Supercharged
tail Lite replacement

I Have VX Fitted the monaro tail lights they look great needed to Purchase from holden the wire loom $25.00 then no dramas easy fitted