Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pulley Bearings

gotham.r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 S1
Hey guys,
Had a whine coming from my engine for the past few weeks (sounds like a mean supercharger), haven't had much of a chance to properly look at it but at
a quick inspection i think it may be the tensioner pulleys.

Haven't had any experience with this kind of problem so I have a few questions.
oh and please excuse my ignorance on this topic if it shows.

would it be worth replacing all the tensioner pulleys or just the bearings? if so what's involved?
and if i do replace the actual pulley then does the bearing already come sealed in it?
and thoughts on aftermarket/OEM replacement parts, like what brand would be a suitable replacement for stronger and more reliable parts and where to find them?

thanks in advance for any help!
cheers!

rhys

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SS
I beleive its a sealed unit, thaughts on aftermarket/oem... Up to you really, obviously OEM will be more expensive but probably better.. OEM= Dealership spare parts..anything else..Repco or any other autoshop could order one in for you

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If you have the plastic pulleys then you can't change the bearings, you need to buy new pulleys which come with the bearing (around $30 each). You can buy metal pulleys which will allow you to change just the bearing next time.

drewwy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8 ute
Go to repco etc. pop ur bonnet and just remove pulley. First loose pretensioner pulley with a ring spanner pretty sure it's reverse thread and take belt off one pulley not completely off. Remove damaged pulley walk in and give it to them. They usually have them in stock. Takes like 5 mins.

gotham.r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 S1
so it's that easy? metal pulleys sound like a great idea! do you know of any good brand/s?

drewwy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8 ute
I'd just go with what ever repco has. Just don't go hee-man when doing up the bolt on the new pulley. Didn't think sold plastic ones anymore. Bolts on the pulley is normal thread. It's only the pretensioner that is reverse u only need to take the slack off to remove belt don't take it off unless that's the pulley u r replacing.

gotham.r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 S1
ah right, just a side question then. how tight should the bolt be re-done?

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
thoughts on aftermarket/OEM replacement parts, like what brand would be a suitable replacement for stronger and more reliable parts and where to find them?

Hi mate,

I've always gone by the notion that if it's worth doing then it's worth doing right, in this case just replace the lot if you want to know for sure that the job is done. I would get the Gates Belt & Pulley Kit (VX, VY, V6) [WBPK00004] or with Nuline Pulleys[WBPK00004N] from Western Filters both are $105 - take your pick, get Repco to price match if need be. Gates are the goods & Nuline use high quality double sealed bearings.

gotham.r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 S1
that's a good motto, something I've always tried to stick by.
would it make much difference being double sealed or not?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If youve got the metal type pulleys, then its definitely worth just changing the bearings instead of replacing the complete pulleys. $15 for 3 new bearings versus $100 or more for 3 new complete pulleys. I know which Id prefer.. And changing the bearings was easy and didnt take long.