Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove the Self Levelling Rear Suspension in Statesman WH

bongoozy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Went to Pedders for 28 point check and was advised that the Self Levelling is not working and new rear shocks are required.
Decided to replace the rear shocks from self levelling to standard KYB P/N: 344312 shocks for $110 set.

I have already checked the forum and found different views (as under) of how to change the Self Levelling to Standard shocks:

There is a little bar (metal rod) under the car on the right side of the car near the rear axle. more towards the diff centre i think. its about 2.5 inches long and has ball joints at either end. just disconnect one end from the ball joint connection and your auto levelling is disabled, basically. its that joint that detects the change in height thus telling your auto levelling to adjust height.

Change the shocks and take the fuse out of the level ride under the steering wheel.

Remove the self levelling compressor and switch.

Make sure you unplug the self levelling pump at the plug above the diff or you could have problems with the ABS, DO NOT pull the fuse for the SL suspension or you will burn out the abs pump.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP WITH A PROCESS OF HOW TO REMOVE THE SELF LEVELLING REAR SUSPENSION SYSTEM FROM A HOLDEN STATESMAN WH TO REPLACE IT WITH STANDARD SHOCKS.

Last but not the least I believe there won't be any issues with pink slip in NSW with this conversion since there are members who have already done it.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Basically just pull the fuse if you don't want it to work, you don't really have to remove the compressor and sensor unless you want to. If you want to sell the compressor let me know, I would like a spare.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Leave the switch or take it out, it doesnt matter. Just unplug the compressor, will be the easiest way.

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
just remove the fuse, when thats out there will be no power to the compressor so it wont burn out. when i do them i leave every thing else in there so if you want to replace it later it all there.
also you will need new rear coils as the self leveling coils are a half rate coil, basicley the shocks kept the car in the air not realy the springs, if you remove the self leveling the rear of the car will drop down as the coil is not strong enough.

bongoozy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Thanks a lot everyone for your expert guidance.
glenl can you please recommend what spring will suite the best. I never tow and do a 50:50 combination of city and highway driving with standard load.
Thanks in advance.

Neil Smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman Caprice
Hi,

I am looking at putting the self levelling gear back into my WH Caprice and would be interested in sourcing all the releavnt bits which seem to have been removed from my car. Are you interested in selling them?

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Thanks a lot everyone for your expert guidance.
glenl can you please recommend what spring will suite the best. I never tow and do a 50:50 combination of city and highway driving with standard load.
Thanks in advance.

if your after the factory ride and comfort, you can put the oe holden coils in, part# 92085556, or try and find a wrecker or someone selling theres second hand, or you can put in a aftermarket brand such as kings standard height, part# khrs-125, they would be a touch firmer but nothing to worry about.

bongoozy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
if your after the factory ride and comfort, you can put the oe holden coils in, part# 92085556, or try and find a wrecker or someone selling theres second hand, or you can put in a aftermarket brand such as kings standard height, part# khrs-125, they would be a touch firmer but nothing to worry about.

Thanks Glenn
Holden advised that 92085556 is NLA (no longer available)
I have sourced a 92048210 (VX V8 rear coil) from my local wrecker and fitted successfully.
Although the 92048210 is 15mm shorter than the coil springs with SLA but I it seems to be firm at the rear.
The car is still scraping at locations that it used to scrape when the SLS was functioning and I think it the long wheel base issue and nothing to do with the replaced coil being 15mm shorter.

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
dont go off the coil being 15mm shorter, as the standard coil for the sls is only a half rate coil, you can have a shorter coil than standard and it can be higher in the car, all depends on how many coils it has and how thick the wire diameter is, same can be said about a lowered coil, it could be taller than the standard coil that has been removed from the car.
maybe try a wagon coil if you want the back up a bit more, or an aftermarket pair.

Wayno Walden

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Hey guys . The self leveling pump on my statesman is making a really loud noise and I can'tget it fixed for a couple of months if I just take out the fuse will the car be OK to drive ?will I have problems with my abs etc? Thanks heaps

Last edited: