Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Really confused, vx headlight globe replacement (pls help)

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Hi i am a little confused about the replacement of headlight globes. My VX currently has standard 60/55w globes, i would like to upgrade these to the white light type 120% brighter, etc.... I have seen many variation.. I have seen a write up in a previous forum on this, but this is old technology, im talking about the new globes today. Is it safe to upgrade my current globes to 100/90w 5500k or higher without melting my polycarbonate lenses or burning out the existing wiring?? There are alot of mixed opinions on this subject, so just to make it a little more less confusing, i would really appreciate personal experiences. There are many available on eBay, but alot of people seem to say direct replacement to 100/90w will be ok and will not burn out wiring or affect lenses as they produce very little heat, not sure about this, just want to play it safe. Any recommendations would be appreciated, any particular brands??

cheers

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
If you go to 100/90w you WILL melt you're wiring, Along with melt the headlight (if the wiring hold's out that long)..

I have seen wiring that has melted due to using higher wattage bulb's. It's not nice...

You must stick to the 60/55w bulb's.

Did you know that by you running higher power bulb's you will actually loose light output...

Stick to what the book recommends and you will be happy motoring.

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
yeah good to know, thanks for that. i actually just fitted some 100/90w and will be pulling them out today. i deffinetly noticed loss of light output and thank god i have not used them long enough to burn out wiring or lenses. Otherwise something like the narva 60/55w with 120% brighter white globes would be ok??

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Mate, Dont even leave them in 'to see what will happen'!!

You will melt the wiring and be up for alot of money to have it all rewired....

I have seen this happen to a vt commodore.. So It's for sure that the commodore's can't handle the extra pull on the wiring...

Any of the narva + range should be good. Just as long as it's 60/55w.
Or phillip's diamond vision i'v heard are pretty good...

I can't stress enough how important it is to use the proper bulb's...

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Apparently the Philips diamond vision are very good. Narva are pretty ordinary.

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Mate, Dont even leave them in 'to see what will happen'!!

You will melt the wiring and be up for alot of money to have it all rewired....

I have seen this happen to a vt commodore.. So It's for sure that the commodore's can't handle the extra pull on the wiring...

Any of the narva + range should be good. Just as long as it's 60/55w.
Or phillip's diamond vision i'v heard are pretty good...

I can't stress enough how important it is to use the proper bulb's...

yeah nah mate removing them as we speak. thanks

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
yeah philips diamond vision is what ill get i reckon, any opininons for the parkers and h1's (highbeam)??

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Agree on Phillips

I use the Extremes that are more yellow looking but thats a personal preference and as mentioned, glad you removing the 100/90w

SMD LEDS, pick and choose what ya want for the parkers. T5 wedge. Dont go blue or red, cops dont like them in the front otherwise go nuts.

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
yeah, the 100/90w were halogen not SMD LEDS, have now been removed! As for the parkers arent they meant to be T10 or T5 any recommendations for the high beam globes, should i go with phillips as well. I actually have 100w HNG Super white for the highbeam, i guess i should be removing them also due to heat etc and replace these with phillips ??