Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EGR Valve install help

Gab vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY BELINA V8, VU, LEXUS, BMW
Installing an egr valve into my VU 6

just a quick question does the new metal gasket need a sealant etc....

Thanks

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
No sealent required.
I have never used sealent on any of the manafold's or related stuff.
Never had an issue.
Make sure the 2 surfaces are nice and clean.

As long as you torque them up as per the book.
Then nip them up after a week or so, You'll be rite.

Peza93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina V6
sorry to be off topic but when i first got my pacemakers i noticed the ERG sensor pipe was like blocked off on the inside? i tried to blow air through it but nothing happend any one want to explain what this thing actually does? cheers :)

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

Under certain throttle, It allow's exhaust gas back into the engine.
1/4 to 1/2 throttle normally.

It's an enviromental thing.

Lot's of people believe that by disconecting it you gain power, When in fact you will loose power and increase fuel usage.

Once you pass around 1/2 throttle, It closes.

Peza93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina V6
haha yeah i first didnt put it in right and was drinking fuel like crazy, but the pipe on the inside of the pacemaker is blocked like it has no extrance into the pipes? :S

Peza93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina V6
:O! thanks alot mate your a legend :)

Peza93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina V6
read around, alot of people just leave it undrilled apparently its not really needed as long as its not sucking it outside air and the valve is atleast connected. and also ment to give abit more power lol. Cbf ripping off the extractors agian for nothing but thanks any way

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I don't know where you've been reading around but you might like to re-read vx_commodore's post (#4).

Because it's not recirculating any exhaust gas at wide open throttle it's not costing any power. While it's not a lot - maybe 5% worse - not having it is costing you fuel economy. The recirculated gases decrease manifold vacuum, reducing the engine having to work to pull the pistons down against the pressure difference between that pressure and crankcase pressure (~atmospheric pressure). You have to pay for the fuel to do that.

Don't think 5% sounds like much? How much do you spend on fuel each year? $3000 or so, I'm guessing. Work out 5% of that and figure out if it's worth your time to drill the hole through.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I dont know how you guys reckon that EGR increases engine power, it decreases it as theres less oxygen to mix with the fuel in the cylinder, as exhaust gasses are inert, so you get less of a bang when it combusts in the cylinder, and less bang equals less power. Also years ago when holden first fitted EGR to the red 6's etc, the power output of these engines dropped considerably compared to the non EGR engines, EGR also increased the fuel economy of these engines as well, they also ran hotter and some early releases had trouble with overheating due to the exhaust heated inlet manifold.. Just have a look at the power figures for a red 6 HQ to a red 6 HZ, Holden mainly blamed the fitment of EGR for this power drop and the increased fuel consumption.. EGR was fitted to help make these engines meet new emmission laws that were introduced in oz back in the late 70's.