Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating / Hissing VT Calais

mrjas89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Good Morning all,

I have a Holden VT Commodore Calais with the standard 3.8L Ecotec. It has 190xxxkm on the clock and has done me well for quite some time now, however it has started to overheat, and when turning off the car hissing noise and water is pouring out. (please see attached pic). Can someone please tell me what the issue is?

The car is getting on now and just trying to work out if it's worth replacing or just getting rid of the vehicle itself.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,187

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Looks to be your Heater tap mate. Its that plastic thing with 3 hoses attached to it and is a very common thing to deteriorate and start leaking and it looks like the hose has broken off at the bottom in that pic. I brought one for about $45 from supercheap a few months back and it's easy to replace

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Also, you might want to put some good quality coolant in there to avoid any more damage if it is not too late already. Using plain water is asking for trouble. Coolant prevents rusting.

mrjas89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
You two are absolute champions. Just ordered the part off supercheap then, $28.99.

Will fit this weekend. Thanks again for the help fellas.

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby
Yeh its def rooted m8, i had mine replaced not long ago when i done my heater core...im pretty sure you can bypass it altogether seen as its getting warmer n not worry about a heater,you disconnect the hose from your water pump and the one above and run it into that bypassing the tap which will get ya sorted till then:)

mrjas89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Yeh its def rooted m8, i had mine replaced not long ago when i done my heater core...im pretty sure you can bypass it altogether seen as its getting warmer n not worry about a heater,you disconnect the hose from your water pump and the one above and run it into that bypassing the tap which will get ya sorted till then:)

Cheers mate :) might do that until I get the part in.

Just out of curiosity, how is the leaking of that water making the car overheat? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to all this :)

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
when was the last time u flushed the sytem n changed ya thermo,the leaking water wont necessarily be overheating ya engine its more so the thermo or shes pretty blocked id say?
what id do is completely flush the system out and bypass the tap,change your thermo and top up n see how that goes..if ya still overheating id get it pressure tested and go from there m8

Last edited:

LordEthan2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Yeah mate, this happend to me, seems pretty renown issue.. umm, you can bypass that tap if youre in dire straights useing the hoses there but get a new tap do a full flush / new good grade coolant and youll be back in bizzo :)

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Cheers mate :) might do that until I get the part in.

Just out of curiosity, how is the leaking of that water making the car overheat? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to all this :)

The water circulating through the system keeps the car cool. If there's not enough water, it cant cool the engine properly and it overheats. Thats what happened to my missus car when her heater tap gave up on life and started leaking. I put 4L of coolant in her VT when I was trying to find where the leak was coming from so no wonder it was overheating.

If you replace this yourself make sure you bleed the coolant. If you don't know how to, do a search and find out its pretty simple stuff but a lot of people just fill up the radiator without getting the air out and wonder why it still overheats

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
o and what monkey said MAKE sure you bleed the system m8 theres 3 bleed points..very important after a change!!