Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore Dash/Interior Lights

falcodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
Hi guys, I just have an issue with the dash lights that has occurred for some time now. The car is a 2000 VTII Commodore Exec (Auto).

The first issue is when turning on the headlamps, the radio light will turn off and you can't see anything. I've got the stock Eurovox head unit with the CD Player. Turning the headlamps off will mean that the radio light (displaying the freq and channel) will turn back on.

Furthermore whilst turning on the headlamps, the dash lighting will not turn on. It just remains dark. I'm not talking about the instrument cluster, I'm talking about the whole area above the head unit on the dash: the temperature settings and the lights that go around the knobs.

There was also an issue with the lights the beside the shifter. One time they would not turn on but I gave it a big whack and that seemed to bring it back to life haha.

Any idea what I should be checking for guys?

Cheers

97VTSS

Hi guys, I just have an issue with the dash lights that has occurred for some time now. The car is a 2000 VTII Commodore Exec (Auto).

The first issue is when turning on the headlamps, the radio light will turn off and you can't see anything. I've got the stock Eurovox head unit with the CD Player. Turning the headlamps off will mean that the radio light (displaying the freq and channel) will turn back on.

Furthermore whilst turning on the headlamps, the dash lighting will not turn on. It just remains dark. I'm not talking about the instrument cluster, I'm talking about the whole area above the head unit on the dash: the temperature settings and the lights that go around the knobs.

There was also an issue with the lights the beside the shifter. One time they would not turn on but I gave it a big whack and that seemed to bring it back to life haha.

Any idea what I should be checking for guys?

Cheers

Correct me if i'm wrong but when you turn the headlights on the usual case is that the radio and heater control lights dim so as not to glare. maybe something is wrong with the
dimming control in the body control module. As for the shifter light I'd say a loose conection with the lamp or the lamp holder.

falcodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
Wow... 171 and barely any replies haha.

Nah what I'm saying is the heater lights don't turn on AT ALL. They're supposed to illuminate at night when you have the headlamps on, but they just don't turn on for some reason? Does anyone know what I should be looking for?

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Wow... 171 and barely any replies haha.

Nah what I'm saying is the heater lights don't turn on AT ALL. They're supposed to illuminate at night when you have the headlamps on, but they just don't turn on for some reason? Does anyone know what I should be looking for?

There may be a broken fuse possibly but im pretty sure all interior run of the same fuse. Just a thought though

falcodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
Well the door lights work so I don't think it'll be that. Might there be a loose cable that is preventing the lights from turning on? Or are the globes just kaput? How would I access these?

BTW when I turn the headlamps on at night the radio light doesn't dim, it just turns off completely. What would I look for in this case?

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
Make sure the dimmer control notch hasn't accidentally been played with.
I think on these cars, the dash light And instrument cluster notch is located on the head light switch itself. Just push the notch towards the drivers window and see if that works.
Let us know how you go.
Cheers
Dave.

falcodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
Yeah the notch has always been pushed to the far right (towards the drivers window). The dimmer still works, the instrument cluster lights become less dark when the notch is pushed to the left, but the centre console lights for the heater and stuff still don't light up at all.

SKDSLT

Reaction score
Members Ride
On the hunt!!
So do the heater/air con buttons not illuminate at all when you turn the headlights on? Or do they turn off when you put the headlights on? Im guessing the globes on the heater/air con unit are blown, same as the shifter light - from my understanding, a common problem.
And going by what you said, the actual dimmer switch sounds ok. As for the head unit, maybe the illumination for the lcd display is faulty - assuming its a stock head unit.
To replace the globes mentioned, shouldn't take more than 30 mins to do. As for the head unit, get an aftermarket unit!

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
its possible u have a burnt track on ur heater units PCB aswell, open it up and check 4 any broken tracks or burnt out sections.