Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore Power Steering rack lines ?

Old GM

Reaction score
Members Ride
gm
Hi duds !

Does anyone here know anything about the Power Steering lines for the VT Commadore rack.

My car is a V6 Ecotec, and i dont know which in the high pressure port on the rack. The upper or the lower.

I did some searching and found two different types.

if any one can shed some light one which Line is the high pressure line it would be a big help.

lineshighlowpowersteering.png

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Just look at the line's that run into it.

The low pressure will just have a bit of ordanary rubber hose with clamp.
The high presusre will have a hardcore thick hose. Also has a larger nut connecting it to the PSR.

Old GM

Reaction score
Members Ride
gm
Thanks for the reply

The point is which is the high pressure port on the VT power steering rack toe top or the bottom.

I know the lines are different, but cant workout how the line match up on the rack.

Is the high pressure the top port or the lower port.

Also I think the nut connections are the same size.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
I think you mean dudes not duds yeah haha just follow the line from the bottle(power steer fluid resiviour) that is on the radiator i think to the rack that is the low pressure line the racks change from series 1 to series 2 that might be why they change but i still think vx is rite and they sre differnt size nuts just take note when you undo them as to witch way they go back on pretty easy really and you will find its hard to put the lines in the wrong hole as they only really line up in the one spot.

just had a better look at the pictures like vx said you can see at the rack what line is what by the clamp on the low pressur line or the pressed fitting on the high pressure line.

Old GM

Reaction score
Members Ride
gm
Thanks for that Clutchy !

the 2 line drawings above are from the GM manual for the VT, they are opposite set ups.

Could some one post a set up for the VT series 2 as a reference.

When I removed the rack I though the lines would be different fittings. but they are the same, so I'm kind of stuck.

A simple picture would help me and others like me in the future, making this a useful post for future reference.

Thanks again VT and Cluchy !

Old GM

Reaction score
Members Ride
gm
High guys

just capping of the post.

The high pressure hose is the upper connection on the VT commodore, at least in my case.
If you notice the bottom picture the hose goes under the engine mount and fits in nicely to the return hose.
there is no other way it fits.

Tarnz98Vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT commy
I'm having trouble reconnecting the pipes they just won't screw back in is there an easier way to get at them

D

devilly

from my understanding thanks to holden's they changed the thread on them, so you have a fine thread and a course thread. so when you do a change over they check the thread as well as a few other things to match it up correctly. if you can't do it up with your fingers then mismatching threads are in play either change out the rack again or change lines to match the thread.