Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt lsd questions

Needsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Commodore Acclaim
Hey guys. I have a few questions about Limited Slip Diffs in relation to my V6 sedan
1. If I get a VT SS LSD (or similar) is it as simple as drop the old one out and bolt the new one in or am I dreaming

2. If i go the same ratio LSD will I require a speedo recalibration or tune of any sort. I know if i change the ratio then my speedo wont be reading accurately but for now I'm just after a 3.08 LSD

3. And finally is it worth the hassel. I'm off my P's next year and I'm getting my hands on a 6ltr ASAP but I'm thinking of hanging on to my 6 and doing a FI build for bit of fun.

Thanks.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
1. should be a straight fit provided it comes out of a 5L, i think LS1 diffs have a different mount to the tail shaft

2. same ratio shouldnt affect speedo

3. LSD fitting isnt a hassle so it should be worth it, as long as you can find one from a 5L as they are getting hard to find

Needsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Commodore Acclaim
Cheers for the advice mate. Just a follow up if I need one from the 5ltr do you know if that means i could get one out of a pre VT Commy provided they have IRS?

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
Pre vt will also fit, does have to be IRS though

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
Any diff that is out of an IRS commo up to VX will be a straight fit. VX - VZ will still fit but you will have to get the piece that couples the diff to the driveshaft changed, most likely a diff shop job, isnt expensive. Alternatively you can get a VX -VZ diff and buy a VX - VZ driveshaft to match which will bolt straight up

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
highly recommend 3.46 diff gears while your at it. if you get the diff from a VT-VX LS1 then they will be LSD and have 3.46. the swap is simple for any diff shop, or even if your a bit handy at home. it has been many times before, so if you run into any trouble, have a look on google.

VX and newer diffs have a 3 bolt flange (yoke) on the diff where VT have the round Flange with 6 or 7 bolts. so just use the VX-onwards tailshaft with the diff and you wont have any issues.

mate the response difference is amazing with only a small diff gear change (from 3.08 to 3.46), and still low rpm at 100 km/h. head to the wreckers haha

Last edited: