Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel bearing or tyre noise?

Nuffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
About 6 months ago I careered into a crater on the freeway where roadworks were being done (the road went to bare rock and dirt for a metre or so from normal bitumen) at about 90kmph. The front end driver's side immediately began to make a low harmonic humming sound which rises and falls depending on the speed. The sound kicks in at around 60kmph. Assuming it was a busted wheel bearing and with a 2000km drive in a week I took it to a mechanic to have it fixed. He said it was NOT a wheel bearing but just 'tyre noise'. After pulling it all apart again with another mechanic he had the same opinion.

Have driven the car since that date constantly and had no problem. The noise is still there though, and while the car seems to drive normally, I'd prefer to get the problem sorted. There is no vibaration coming through the steering wheel etc, and about the only visible thing I can see is that a bush needs replacing.

Any ideas??

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Well bush shouldn't make a humming sound. I can't see a pothole creating tyre noise either.
Either one the tyre noise was there before, and since hitting that hole you have gotten worried about it and now have noticed the tyre noise was already there. Every VT/VX I have been in I have heard the same noise. Including my VT now with 17" wheels the noise is louder.
You should be able to tell if the bearings are gone, by jacking the car up and wiggling the wheel. Not so much you much the steering arms. The wheel shouldn't have any movement at all.
Try replacing your front tyres with your back ones to see if noise dies out.
If possible know anyone else with a Holden with wheels abou 15" to 16". Ask them to borrow two of their tyres to try on your vechile.
Good luck with it all.

chippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive 3.8l s1, vs s ute 5.0l s3
Sound like tyre noise. Rotate your tyres around front to back. It sound like your wheel alignment is out and needs to fix. It dont take much to put it out thats were i would start. Have a look at your tyres to see if the front ones are wearing funny or on one of the egaes. Hope this helps

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
Tyre Noise

my 2000 VX had 18 inch wheels when i bought it... it makes a lot of noise that worried me too but when i drove over different road compounds like from bitumen to concrete, to aphsalt, i noticed the humming or crack bumping noises changed, then i realised it ws just tyre noise... :thumbsup:

Nuffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Thanks all for your help - rotating tyres on next day off and we'll see how that goes. :thumbsup: