Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where is the bleed valve located

sazzizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore 1998 V6
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of where the bleed valve is located for a VT 1998. I am having problems with my car it seems to be overheating and then returning to a normal driving temperature soon after.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Right on top of the thermostat housing.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
It's on top of the thermostat housing where the top radiator hose connects.
It's just a small grub screw with a slot for a flat baded screw driver.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The top radiator hose is connected to the thermostat housing, you will find the bleeding screw there.
Edit: A bit late.

sazzizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore 1998 V6
I flushed the car and ran the car until it reached normal operating temperature, however the fan had not come on. I noticed the radiator hose started leaking and steam started coming out of the radiator and the hose was too hot to touch. What could cause the car to overheat like this so quickly?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I flushed the car and ran the car until it reached normal operating temperature, however the fan had not come on. I noticed the radiator hose started leaking and steam started coming out of the radiator and the hose was too hot to touch. What could cause the car to overheat like this so quickly?

Overheating should not cause steam to come out of the radiator hose, sounds like the hose is not tight enough or needs replacing? The radiator cap should just open and you may see a bit of steam come out of there? Sounds more like you have a leak, Hose will be pretty hot either way.

sazzizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore 1998 V6
Yeah after I saw the steam come out of the radiator, I turned the car off and thats when I saw the hose leaking...it was not leaking before I turned the car off. Is the leak in the hose the only thing that may be causing it to overheat this quickly, or could it be the water pump?

sazzizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore 1998 V6
water tap.jpgAlso the water tap seems to have what looks like corrosion around it. It has a white/pinky substance all over it. Does this need to be replaced?