Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I do a Radiator Flush + Renew Coolant on my VT 3.8 Ltr Ecotech V6 1999

Neo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Sedan 1999
Hey all :)

Can somebody please help me and possibly others by posting the correct procedure on how to flush out and renew coolant on a VT V6 preferably with pictures/diagrams even just pictures off the net with some indications of what/where

I have researched as much information as I can find and still it's unclear to me, I have looked on these forums with conflicting procedures or not the info im after. I really need to know (with visual) what to take off where to put the hose and how to clear the reservoir and engine block

I would prefer not to take out the knock sensors but if absolutely necessary then I will need visuals on where they are etc.

Can I just use tap water ? I know distilled water is required though it's easier/cheaper to use tap water

Things i know: must be cool engine at least 3 hours no use
The air bleed valve, turn 2-3 times (when filling or something)
Have the heater on hot
coolant must be handled with care and disposed of properly
incompatible coolants create corrosion thus must flush thoroughly and try use a compatible coolant if possible
Pour the coolant in then fill with water once flushed, takes a full 12 litre capacity.

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Face the front of the vehicle uphill before filling the radiator, this will help any air thats trapped in the engine move to the front of the engine and into the radiator where it can then escape. Ive seen people fill these radiators with their vehicle parked on the flat or facing downhill, and they always seem to have heaps of trouble with trapped air and have to stuff around bleeding them heaps..
With distilled water being only 2 or 3 dollars for a 4 litre bottle at the supermarket, why would you not use it.. Theres just too many minerals in tap water. Lack of maintainance, cheap brand coolant and tap water are the 3 main reasons why why so many cooling systems end up in such a bad state to begin with.
I wouldnt go to the trouble of removing the knock sensors, some people on here have posted up that theyve removed them, and then theyve have no coolant come out anyway. .Just flush the engine block out heaps with water before refilling with fresh coolant and distilled water...

Last edited:

Neo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Sedan 1999
Thanks for the reply Brett_jjj

Raising the front of the vehicle sounds like a good idea I will be doing that

I will buy some distilled water for the fill because it will be cheaper in the long run

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Face the front of the vehicle uphill before filling the radiator, this will help any air thats trapped in the engine move to the front of the engine and into the radiator where it can then escape. Ive seen people fill these radiators with their vehicle parked on the flat or facing downhill, and they always seem to have heaps of trouble with trapped air and have to stuff around bleeding them heaps..
With distilled water being only 2 or 3 dollars for a 4 litre bottle at the supermarket, why would you not use it.. Theres just too many minerals in tap water. Lack of maintainance, cheap brand coolant and tap water are the 3 main reasons why why so many cooling systems end up in such a bad state to begin with.

Don't you mean down hill? Up hill would cause it to go to the back of the motor.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Don't you mean down hill? Up hill would cause it to go to the back of the motor.

The back of the motor will be lowest when the front of the vehicle is facing uphill. Facing it downhill will trap more air as the front would then be lower. The front of the vehicle faces uphill as I said, as air bubbles rise to the highest part (the front of the engine block when facing uphill)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah, I do uphill and I use Tectaloy af/ab of which cutting out the bottom of the bottle, wrapping the neck in tape and shoving it in the radiator inlet makes short work of air.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The back of the motor will be lowest when the front of the vehicle is facing uphill. Facing it downhill will trap more air as the front would then be lower. The front of the vehicle faces uphill as I said, as air bubbles rise to the highest part (the front of the engine block when facing uphill)

Of course it would. Dumb moment :p

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Of course it would. Dumb moment
No worries, haha, I think we've all had one of those before at one time or another.

I use Tectaloy af/ab of which cutting out the bottom of the bottle, wrapping the neck in tape and shoving it in the radiator inlet makes short work of air.
I also find the nulon brand long life concentrate coolant works excellent and keeps the cooling system parts nice and clean etc. I run it at a mixture of 60 parts of coolant to 40 parts distilled water (60/40) in my VS and VY V6's..

Last edited:

Neo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Sedan 1999
Thank you to the people whom have submitted some helpful information

Keep the information coming, I still need to know what hoses and plugs to remove, all the places to put the garden hose to flush it properly and how to clear the reservior..

Last edited: