Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking engine coolant

2000V8

My V8 leaks coolant onto my garage floor. (Liquid is pink colour and sweet to taste - I tasted it to make sure it was coolant because I know it is glycol something). Just recently had new radiator put in and had it back to dealer with the coolant leaking prob but they can't find any leaks. They had it sent out to pressure check radiator but all tested fine. Replaced the coolant reservoir cap with new one but still leaking. It's just that the engine coolant light came on to indicate low coolant so I don't want to just let it go. It's leaking enough so that I have to check the reservoir a couple of times a week. Any advice for me please. Thanks.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
All you can do is to check every hose and joint. Check around the water pump. Check the radiator cores. If your car is an auto check around where the transmission lines bolt in.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
check welsh plugs..... especially under the gearbox bell housing cos there are some welsh plugs at back of the engine..

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
some gen 3's had late problems welsh plugs in the back of the (facing forwards)right hand side head.....dont know how? dont know why? costs like $7 for a new welsh plug and about $10 for the loctite sealant

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Oh great, thanks Boona15. That's all I need. :unsure:

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
you could also buy the coolant pellets from holden (approx $10 for pack of 4) crush them up and add that to coolant. that's what gm's fix was for leaking head welsh plugs on VY gen III's. if it is a gen III also check around the bottom of the water pump as they are common for the gaskets to go. about $15 ea for gaskets - you'll need two of to fix if that's the problem. not a hard job to do - you could do it yourself or if you have a mate who's a mechanic he could do it. no need to pull radiator out again to do either. have done approx 30 sets of gaskets myself and shouldn't take more than 45mins to do.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
someone once told me about some stuff called CHEMIWELD..... you just add it to radiator water...stops water leaks..

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
DO NOT USE CHEMIWELD. it may be ok to use in older cars - i mean hell i used it once in my tg gemini as the front cover was leaking below the bottom radiator hose from minor corrosion and worked fine but in the newer cars IT'S BAD STUFF.
get the pelets from holden if required.
or better yet find the leak and fix it!!