Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle body size ..... is bigger always better?

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Gidday im currently doing up a vt 5.0L wagon bit by bit and im looking at upgrading the throttle body as part of the process. I was looking at a 70mm one then came across a 90mm for around the same price. I was just wondering is it a case of the bigger the better or can this cause issues elswhere? Ive put on high flow cold air induction and a memcal chip im working on getting an exaust system made up right through because everything is just tired and stock standard. Id appreciate any feedback I can get as im pretty new to all this but loving it all the same :) cheers.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hey man , I had on my old VX a bored out throttle body , and a host of other bits , growler intake , high ratio rockers , a tuned PCM , exhaust and headers , to be honest the gains were out weighed by cost , I got some extra gains , but would I do that again ? , probably not of course your V8 may benefit more than a V 6 , on a final note my SV 6 which is basically stock has more power than my VX had , even after the mods , point is how much are you willing to spend and what gains are you wanting to get .

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
70mm TB is where it's at for a standard banana manifold. I think it works even better on the VT 304's as they too have the little hump on one side of the TB behind the butterfly which is there to make the throttle opening more progressive like they did on the ecotec engines.

Cold air intake is worth the money spent, I'd suggest the MACE item, you can also get the 70mm TB from them. They are a site sponsor, mention that you are a JC member and you'll get a discount.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
70mm TB is where it's at for a standard banana manifold. I think it works even better on the VT 304's as they too have the little hump on one side of the TB behind the butterfly which is there to make the throttle opening more progressive like they did on the ecotec engines.

Cold air intake is worth the money spent, I'd suggest the MACE item, you can also get the 70mm TB from them. They are a site sponsor, mention that you are a JC member and you'll get a discount.

Its funny you should say that mate the memcal and the cold air induction i put on today was from mase and the 70mm throttle body im looking at is their one.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Hey man , I had on my old VX a bored out throttle body , and a host of other bits , growler intake , high ratio rockers , a tuned PCM , exhaust and headers , to be honest the gains were out weighed by cost , I got some extra gains , but would I do that again ? , probably not of course your V8 may benefit more than a V 6 , on a final note my SV 6 which is basically stock has more power than my VX had , even after the mods , point is how much are you willing to spend and what gains are you wanting to get

Ive actually got another 5.0l in the shed that ive just bought its been half rebuilt with all good stuff just needs a cam and a couple of other things. The motor thats in the car at the mo has 370000 ks on the clock and is badly in need of some tlc. Its a roller block so ill stroke it when its out and give it a birthday lol. I figured regardless i needed to sort out the fuel/air and the exuast system so i thought id do that while i was waiting. all that stuff will just bolt on to either motor i hope.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
It's all about CFM. Calculate the max CFM your motor will use at max RPM for a start. Then think about how you will be driving your car. If it's a drag car then it'll spend most of it's time at max RPM so you will need something big. If it's a street car then 99% of it's time will be in the bottom 2/3 of the rev range in which case for throttle response and torque you will want something that in theory will be slightly small to the max "theoretical" CFM you need at top RPM. You will be giving away a few kw/torques for more down low/mid range.

It's been a few years since I messed with them but from memory 90mm is far to big for an otherwise stock 5 litre, particularly street driven.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Yep id definatly be chasing the low down power it will be an every day driver I just want something that goes well and sounds good but is reliable at the same time. So the 70mm it is then thanks a lot for your input guys much appreciated.