Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you tell if you have a broken clock spring?

ChrisOk1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pac
I replaced my steering wheel (VY into VX) and my steering wheel controls and horn no longer work (correctly wired up the horn) and from what I've been reading people have been saying it may be a clock spring however, unlike most people my airbag light is off. How can you tell if your clock spring is damaged?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
1. is the steering wheel controls illuminated even when you lock the car? check carfully.
2. press the horn f##king hard I have a VY/VZ wheel in my VX clubby and I have to press hard.

if the controls are illuminated you have connected the constant horn wire up to the s/w controls.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
oh and the VY controls will not work with the factory VX radios as the signals different as in the VY they use Blaupunkt not Eurovox, if you go aftermarket you need a signal converter, I wont patronize you as if you are doing wheel swaps you are more than competent and probably know about the cat 10, swijack and aerpro etc.. but I have found one that is the balls.

Axxess Interface - Steering Wheel Control

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
photo the two red connectors are the same and can be confused because holden did not make them different, I would have :bang:

3.jpg

ChrisOk1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pac
I can't see the link cause I'm on my phone but from what I understand, I need to get an ISO harness for the VY steering wheel controls. I have a Sony headunit with the VX ISO harness so I would imagine I would just need to get a VY ISO harness?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
yes that is 100% correct, see you don`t need to be told.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
no worries, get to a computer and see the pic though.

ChrisOk1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pac
Yeah I've seen that picture of the steering wheel heaps and I did wire them up wrong the first time cause every time I pressed the horn the volume would go down =_= But yeah I swapped them round and took the controls out cause they were doing weird stuff while I wasn't using them and even without them stuff will go a bit weird, radio will turn up or down, mute or even change between inputs but I don't whether that is because I have the lead for the steering wheel controls unplugged or I have gremlins but alas I shall invest in a VY ISO, put it in and see what happens