Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX rear speakers in parcel shelf

vyaw2003

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf commodore ute
Hello,
I went to install some Fusion 6x9's in the back yesterday on my VX. I think i figured out that i need to cut the back carpet thing is this right? Then where can i get a cover to cover the holes? JB, wow, brisbane car sound?
Wireing, i was thinking of going back to the head unit and starting there, rather than try to unplug the back ones in the door and join that wire.
Thanks
A

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Hi,
You should have the template on the parcel shelf itself, just cut around the same lines and then get your covers from holden or any good auto store.
I did the same about 2 years ago but i disconnected the back doors and ran them to the shelf, just recentley i brought an amp and hooked up the rear doors again so it depends what you want to do.

vyaw2003

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf commodore ute
yes i will do that on the weekend or next week.
I wont be using the door speakers i wont need them, unless i hooked them up to the front speakers, but then i would probably need an amp as my head unit would not cope.
I thought the carpet covers would just pop off, i didnt realise that i would have to cut, yuck i hate cutting my car :(

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
vyaw2003 said:
yes i will do that on the weekend or next week.
I wont be using the door speakers i wont need them, unless i hooked them up to the front speakers, but then i would probably need an amp as my head unit would not cope.
I thought the carpet covers would just pop off, i didnt realise that i would have to cut, yuck i hate cutting my car :(
Don't worry, it is easily done with a jigsaw, I have done both my old VT1 and my fianc'ee's new VX1S she has just bought. Also DON'T BUY YOUR GRILLES FROM HOLDEN!!! There are aftermarket versions available in pairs from selected auto shops for about the same price as 1 grille from Holden and just as good too. after that you will see that to mount the speakers, you just need to punch out the steel blanks that have been spot welded over the mounting hole under the Carpeted parcel shelf. I would recommend fully removing the parcel shelf to get at them, and to also cut the holes. To mount the grilles, I recommend using a Stanley knife that is very sharp and just push the blade through at the appropriate points around the groove on the shelf. Also cut your hole in the shelf about 5mm inside the groove in the shelf. To remove the shelf you will have to unbolt the centre seatbelt from the floor once you have removed the seat and both back sections. You'll be surprised how easy all of this will be. Tools required are Rachet handle, 3/4 in Socket, 1/2 in Socket, Stanley knife, Jigsaw and Electric drill with 10mm drill bit for pilot holes to create starting point for cutting out. Any further assistance, just PM me and I will be glad to assist.