Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VT Calais Heater Tap

vrbloke-77

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
just wondering how easy these are to replace as my heater tap is leaking coolant. did one in my vr but not sure on the VT any help be appreciated. Aussie Aussie Ausie Oi Oi Oi

dope505069

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S2 Olympic Ediiion
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Vcaj_nhno

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/78134-changing-heater-tap.html

50159d1217981335-changing-heater-tap-heater-tap.png

Generally when changing it most mechanics recommend doing the hoses aswell. It makes the job easier too, from one side anyway.

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
Pretty easy. The hardest part is probably getting the hose clamps on. I vaguely remember them being a real b!tch. I think it was a tight space or an awkward angle.

If your going to replace the heater tap might as well replace the hoses as well. The hoses that connect to the firewall were the worst IMPO. I had to cut and twist them off with a clamp as they were stuck on good. Putting the new hoses on were easy but putting the clamps on was fairly difficult (Had very little room). I recommend a very long screwdriver and someone to hold the clamps in place.

Gates Holden VT VX Commodore V6 3 8L Radiator Coolant Hose KIT INC Clamps | eBay

Think that is the one I got. Comes with the clamps.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Pretty easy. The hardest part is probably getting the hose clamps on. I vaguely remember them being a real b!tch. I think it was a tight space or an awkward angle.

If your going to replace the heater tap might as well replace the hoses as well. The hoses that connect to the firewall were the worst IMPO. I had to cut and twist them off with a clamp as they were stuck on good. Putting the new hoses on were easy but putting the clamps on was fairly difficult (Had very little room). I recommend a very long screwdriver and someone to hold the clamps in place.

Gates Holden VT VX Commodore V6 3 8L Radiator Coolant Hose KIT INC Clamps | eBay

Think that is the one I got. Comes with the clamps.

Stick with the genuine clamps that won't over tighten on the heater tap. If this kit comes with screw up jubilee type clamps ditch them and use your old ones or go buy some new genuine ones. Also check with your local Holden dealer the genuine hoses are Gates and may even be cheaper.

dope505069

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S2 Olympic Ediiion
That gates tap and hose kit i've seen on eBay for close to $35 not including postage. Look around.

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
The OP isn't asking for a hose kit, I only recommended it when he chooses to replace the heater tap. As for the clamps, I guess I can understand. I used the ones that came with the kit and I had to re-tighten them a few times as the hoses got worn in. The genuine ones are self adjusting so would do this automatically. In regards to over tightening them, yes this is definitely a case if your not careful.

When replacing the heater tap don't forget to put the heater on HOT. The heater tap functions by vacuum suction and HOT is OPEN. When you turn it to COLD is forces the heater tap to CLOSE by creating negative pressure and sucking it up. If you leave the heater on COLD when replacing the heater tap it won't function properly. But if you make a mistake it's a very easy thing to correct and you shouldn't need to take the heater tap out again. It's just a small vacuum hose you need to work with.

vrbloke-77

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
the clamps on my hoses are original and i was going to do the hoses at same time car has 194146 on the clock so no dought the heater tap and hoses are all original. grr considering last week end me alternator went. murphys law !!

vrbloke-77

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
in regards to to this i should put the climate control on H and start the car before i do it so the heater kicks in then turn car off and replace tap

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
I ended up doing most of the cooling system when I did mine. Heater tap (which broke when I took the hoses off so had no choice but to replace). Heater inlet pipe (Which also broke off). Water pump (which looked like it had white barnacles growing inside of it and was badly rusted). Radiator Hose Kit. New radiator + new radiator cap + new radiator rubber mounts/clips. New Thermostat (Car didn't even have one in it). New thermostat housing.

I also replaced the inlet manifold gaskets (with the Mace Engineering metal ones). The cooling water ways looked like they had chunks of vomit in them.

And

My car also had the same amount of mileage as yours when I did this. This was done not long after purchasing the car (maybe a few weeks after).

EDIT: Just noticed in the second picture you can see where I broke the heater inlet pipe.