Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBDII for '02 VX

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Ey I was thinkin of putting my old laptop to good use by getting a USB/Serial cable to plug into the OBDII on my VX.

Where can I find one in Melbourne? I can find instructions on how to build one (which isn't a problem if worst comes to it) but would like to try and buy one first.

I just downloaded EFIlive v4 eval to start with (if anyone has better suggestions?) and will work from there.

Cheers.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Thanks accentstencil. I just looked at it then, and as you said, I asked them if it would work on the VX model. Will wait for the reply.

I personally don't see why it wouldn't but who knows? lol

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
OK. The reply from the seller was basically this.

The cable works on the VT model but he is unsure if it works with the VX as he hasn't tested it on that model.

At the cost of $50 I am not willing to buy the cable if its gonna blow my car computer up and cause trouble.

Does anyone know if it will work between the models VT to VX? (ie. connector pinout)

I asked Holden about the part... they have it... but they won't sell it to me. Bastards. Even so it would have cost me an arm and leg thru them anyway!

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
myberlina said:
OK. The reply from the seller was basically this.

The cable works on the VT model but he is unsure if it works with the VX as he hasn't tested it on that model.

At the cost of $50 I am not willing to buy the cable if its gonna blow my car computer up and cause trouble.

Does anyone know if it will work between the models VT to VX? (ie. connector pinout)

I asked Holden about the part... they have it... but they won't sell it to me. Bastards. Even so it would have cost me an arm and leg thru them anyway!
Both VT and VX both Share the same OBD II Ports only the VZ LS2's use CAN
i assume we are talking V8's ?

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
As best I know the alloytechs use OBD II (CAN protocol) the LS1's use OBDII (VPW) The problem with the VX V6 is not the interface, it is the same as the VT one it is that the software the COULD read it EFILIVE does not have the configuration files to do so.

Mike

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
OLS108 said:
Both VT and VX both Share the same OBD II Ports only the VZ LS2's use CAN
i assume we are talking V8's ?

My car is pretty much stock standard V6 Ecotec material.

As for the configuration files, where would someone find those on the internet? I don't have the necessary knowledge to modify the config file. Not properly anyway! lol

I did download the VT file from Starr Performance (somewhere) as a reference to look at but, as it has been said, it wouldn't work with VX.

ARGH! The things I do for this car...

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
V6 doesnt use OBD2, it uses 8192 baud uart serial data
try the VT definition, some of it may work, the data stream is similar

Rob

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Thanks for that Doc Bob.

If I buy this cable I'm looking at, will it (the cable that is) require any alteration for this 8192 baud to work properly or will my crappy laptop do all that for me?

I ask this cause I have seen some sites with other devices placed between car and computer. Some sort of conversion thingy I think.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Well... gone out on a limb and bought the cable on ebay... will post back here when it arrives and if it works.

Hope $50 isn't gonna be an expensive lesson but if it works, imagine what it can tell you.

Probably going to tell me:
1 - Too many hand brake turns
2 - Burnouts (or attempts at that)
3 - How many times over 125kph

Hmmmm.... what else?