Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

starting problems

kelvinss1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series2
Hi, I have just put a new ignition in my vt commodore. I am now having problems with it starting. Sometime it starts and other times it won't.
Could there be something I have done when fitting the barrel that could cause a problem like this?
Thanks
Kelvin

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The key reader (the thing that slips over the barrel with wires attached) might not be [positioned correctly and is not making good contact with the metal knob on the key head.

kelvinss1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series2
The key reader (the thing that slips over the barrel with wires attached) might not be [positioned correctly and is not making good contact with the metal knob on the key head.

The key seems to have good contact.Car will start if you lock and unlock it.When you leave it for a while and try to start it cranks and stops in 2 seconds and then when you go to start again there is only 2 lights on and wont crank.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you plug the key reader back in?
If the light red light in the mode switch is flashing when you try to start it then the immobilizer is not turning off.
Since the key reader was moved during the barrel replacement I suspect the problem is there somewhere.

kelvinss1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series2
Did you plug the key reader back in?
If the light red light in the mode switch is flashing when you try to start it then the immobilizer is not turning off.
Since the key reader was moved during the barrel replacement I suspect the problem is there somewhere.[/QUOTE

The red light is flashing. The 2 pins on the key reader are only connected at one end. Is this normal or does this mean the reader is broken?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not sure what you mean by "The 2 pins on the key reader are only connected at one end"

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
when you unlock with the remote, the immobilizer (red led) will turn off for a couple of minutes then rearm
if the keys are in ignition, the ring around barrel will detect key head and keep immobilizer off
if it is working correctly.
with keys in ignition if immobilizer turns back on then the key reader is not detecting key head
which is what accent is saying
pull it apart and refit the plugs and light

kelvinss1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series2
Back to your first reply can the ring be turned to the wrong position?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
If i put a small screw driver under the metal rings on the reader you can lift one end up.
I see, that is normal.

Back to your first reply can the ring be turned to the wrong position?
Not to my knowledge, as long as it is making contact with the key head in the "ON" position then it should work.
Have you checked that the key reader is plugged in properly?