Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Warning Light Came On

M

mikemutlow

Hey guys - need some advice. I just drove into town and whilst waiting at the traffic lights the battery warning light on the dash came on. Now I know that usually means the alternator output is low (or nothing) and that you usuallycome to a grinding halt before long. Anyway I drove home back up the freeway (praying that she wouldn't stop running) and half way home the light went out! I have checked the voltage output using the special functions readout and that is showing 13.7/13.8 volts at tickover (no aircon) and 12.7/12.8 volts with aircon (fans running). So all seems well but I'm sure something is up and it will come back to haunt me when I least need it. Does anyone know if the warning light 'locks on' if there is a sudden drop in volts, or know what I should check next?

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
That is a pretty big voltage drop for a few fans. I would check the usuals (level in the battery and corrosion around the termainals) first. It sounds like a high resistance fault (says he guessing across the internet)

Mike

M

mikemutlow

Thanks for that. I have checked the battery electrloyte levels and they are OK and the terminal post connections are tight (though the posative terminal connections seem to get corrosion build up around the outside).The battery voltage (engine off) shows 12.2 volts which seems a bit low and sometimes when I start up with the engine hot it struggles to turn over at first. Does this sound like a dodgy battery?? What voltage would the system have to dropped to to trigger a warning light though?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
the battery light comes on at 12.8 volts while running which is about what a battery should have when sitting unused
how olds the battery???

M

mikemutlow

Just to complete the post:
I replaced the battery but next day the same problem - warning light came on whilst out driving. Took the car back to Holden and (much to my suprise) they said it was probably the brushes on the alternator and that would be covered under the used car warranty. One new alternator later and everything is rosy again; anyone need a good secondhand battery??!

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
You can bet the brushes in the alternator are almost worn out and the voltage regulator needs changing. A very easy job to do and you will be surprised as to how much they have worn. I usually charge about $75.00 to my customers and this includes the regulator cost as well. I think the Bosch number is an RE60 regulator, but thats off the top of my head.The light flashes intermittantly on then off as the brushes make contact on the slip rings inside the alternator. Very common problem!

Boltonator_VT

Recreational User :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Acclaim Auto
Not a cheap fix if you live in NZ. I paid $175 for that bloody regulator.

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Actually, I need one. Where abouts are you located? And how much do you want for it?

Cheers,

JG

Pointing to Original Post Date 20-01-2006, 11:57 AM - probably not in the best of condition now

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
Oops!!!

Guess I should learn to read!!!
My battery is newer than that!

JG