Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

last problem with my car cant seem to fix it

D

devilly

will try and explain best i can :)

start car sounds awesome very quite and smooth 15-30 secs on idles i can hear something kick in electrical.

revs pick up and goes a slight bit higher revs sounding, but tacho don't move.

on idles in park and neutral gear shifter fine,in drive starts shaking bad you can feel it on the center console,back seat and basically all over.

feels worse in the center of the car.how i feel is if i was driving it i would have blown out my uni joints but its not moving.

when moving i have slowish speed up to 60 and extremely good getting up to 80.

also occasional get a very strong smell of fuel for 1 sec but by the time i try and find it its gone.

steering wheel always has the same vibration doesn't seem to change.good point it ashes me smoke for me :)

and last point is when accelerating slowly the vacuum gauge drops to 5 and as soon as take foot of pedal goes up to 20

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Its probably just an idle control switch thats increasing the revs slightly...whether its the throttle body switch, power steering, or just a temp control i cannot say...

Put the dash into engineering mode and have a look at the digital rpm readout. Itll probably be something like 50-100rpm difference when it kicks in.

Car vibrating a little i would consider normal for how old it is and how many ks its done. When u put it in drive it is under alot more load, even just idling, than what it is when in neutral or park. If its a bad vibration its probably somethinglike the torque converter or the trans itself showing signs of being warn out.

New mounts may take some of the vibrations out but from memory uve done ur trans and engine mounts recently?

D

devilly

yes done engine mounts and trans mounts, i might jack it up and check with the torque wrench on the trans mount bolts.
i did the job and a few mnths after tightened engine mounts cant remember if did trans as well.
thanks for that i might just spend a weekend going over it and check the
engineering mode never done that before something new to learn :) WHOO :)

D

devilly

thanks for that Turtl3 :) as soon as i read when put it in drive it's got more load.i thought to myself that's it i'm going old school and checking every nut and screw on the engine for tightness.

found the top plate star screws finger loose for starters and a few other things but basically it's 50% better already :)

just got to check trans mount and should be good to get me to the dental hospital :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

devilly

awesome have worked out alot :) i LOVE having this vacuum gauge hooked up :) i drove for 1hr and was watching mainly the vacuum gauge.

i noticed when i lightly accelerated it would drop to 10 instead of 5,and when i was stopped at the lights the needle would steady shake from 20 to 17.

and other thing i noticed was my oil pressure needle when starting the car it slowly jumped to 20 and then flicked a bit getting to 40 and then steady needle to 60.

it used to go steady up to 60.i will have a look at the sandwich plate and see if anything is a miss,is all i can think of.

so I've been put on light duties which i HATE.so can get back into things in a couple of days time.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Your vacuum gauge should not move at idle. it should stay at around 20. If the needle flickers it is usually a sign of a leaky valve.

D

devilly

ah ha yes :) still going slowly over engine to tighten/check every bolts e.t.c.all my header bolts were loose,will go for a test drive soon :)

thanks Tree cutter :)

also found that when i took off oil filter and put new filter back on, i must of moved the sandwich plate out of place so have to redo it.

D

devilly

yipp ya yah :) no more needle jumping :) on the vacuum gauge,and scary thing is that no noise from engine had to check my gauges to make sure car hadn't stalled :)

so i just turned up the music and enjoyed going for a cruise for a nice pleasant change :)

got ryco oil filter and oil so i can fix the sandwich plate i think it's missed aligned causing a weird reading,or somewhere its kinked the brass line.

have about quarter left of shaking vibration going on but nothing to stress about :) will continue going over every nut and bolt and see if i can find anything loose,other then me brain at the moment due to medication.

D

devilly

didn't do the sandwich plate went to and appointment.well strange as dunno how to explain it
i was driving along and at 60 it sounded like a drowning noise like when a truck goes down gears, very low bass noise for like 10 seconds so i stopped car and noise had gone away.

turned it off restarted it and oil gauge steady went up to 60 no flicking or nothing,so my question is what happened.

pretty cool tho if the cars going to start to fix itself :) :) cant complain about that :) :)

D

devilly

so i did my oil change, sandwich plate came off when removing filter.in my oil from sum was hard pea shaped black things when pressed with fingers was old oil.

found that the sandwich plate was touching my trans line pushing it down.so have refitted it and made sure nothing is touching anywhere. oil gauge works good again.

i checked the oil container after emptying it and no metal filings at the bottom WHEW :)

finished off by degreasing engine and will go for a test drive soon.

starting to think that maybe inside engine ,somewhere has been blocked via oil build up,dunno where or what i should be doing to clean the insides of engine.

to be honest a bit scared as don't want any of the o'rings inside engine to be damaged.