Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your thoughts on replacing steering wheel with airbag to a MOMO wheel....

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
G'day guys,

I just had an epiphany (is that the right word to use??) :D . I was just looking thru Ebay and found some awesome MOMO Steering wheels.........................only problem is my VT Steering wheel has an airbag..............I really like the MOMO wheels and would like to put one in my car. Do you think i should keep my airbagged steering wheel for safety reasons (mine is the Acclaim after all) or go aftermarket?

If i do decide to go aftermarket, is there much to replacing the airbagged steering wheel with a new one WITHOUT airbag????? Any info would be awesome!!! :coolpimp:

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I think it would be highly illegal and I don't think your car wouldn't pass rego.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I think you should stick with what you have since it is illegal to replace an airbag equipt steering wheel with a non airbag one.
Its there for a reason, stick with it.
If you really wanna change it MOMO make aftermarket ones to suit the factory airbag, I have one of these infact.
AirStrike :air:

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Gday mate

Unfortunately if your steering wheel comes with an airbag it is illegal to replace it with one without an airbag.

I have replaced the one in my vxs pac. Got a great momo one that has the airbag fit right back in. very nice leather.

It also comes with instructions on how to replace it yourself.

Hope this helps

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
How much roughly are they for a airbag momo wheel?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
*VOLATILE* said:
G'day guys,

I just had an epiphany (is that the right word to use??) :D . I was just looking thru Ebay and found some awesome MOMO Steering wheels.........................only problem is my VT Steering wheel has an airbag..............I really like the MOMO wheels and would like to put one in my car. Do you think i should keep my airbagged steering wheel for safety reasons (mine is the Acclaim after all) or go aftermarket?

If i do decide to go aftermarket, is there much to replacing the airbagged steering wheel with a new one WITHOUT airbag????? Any info would be awesome!!! :coolpimp:
Yes, it's the right word to use..

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Mine was $220.00 including postage (over the net).

But if you look around or wait for one to come up on ebay should be able to get one for about $170.00

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
It's on ebay.. I've seen it.. It's a red and black one..

I reckon you'll be able to get more if you contact the seller and ask..Or just goto Autobarn and ask them for a legal one for your car.. They have heaps..

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Over here in WA, we dont have AutoBarn!!! That's f***ked i tell ya!! We only got SuperCheap and AutoPro. I might take a closer look on eBay now then. Cheers Shounak.