Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Crackling noise ABS unit when ignition turned on and clicking sound from BCM

fanga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0ltr V8
Hi , any opinions much appreciated ....

VX SS 2001 , Auto with LS1 5.7ltr , extractors and exhaust system.

Im getting a short electrical crackling noise from the ABS unit when the ignition is turned on before start up as the dash lights come on , sometimes a click from the starter and no engine start along with it . I have replaced the starter already so chances are its not that.

Also getting a random clicking noise from the BCM , doesn't matter if the car is running or not , does it while im driving and while it is turned off . The only way it does stop is if I lock all the doors with the remote or key in door.
Sounds like a relay clicking on then off ... tick tick.....tick tick.....tick tick ... and so on , really getting bloody annoying . I was thinking maybe something to do with the central locking system is ####ing up . The instrument panel where the odometer reading is also dims a bit when the thing ticks.

Cheers

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
bad battery earth check, clean, secure first and/ or also try disconnecting battery for an hour or bad relays under dash /under steering wheel will click or on bcm which is soldered..try replacing the under dash ones first with new same type.

fanga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0ltr V8
Battery tested ok , also got some new battery terminals so the leads were disconnected for about an hour which should have reset its CPU and BCM ? The click is definitely coming from the BCM , I actually stuck my hand up under the dash and could feel the bloody thing ticking away . The bloke who sold it to me had a big ass sub and stereo system in it , he removed the speakers and sub but left the wiring in it so I checked to see if anything was still hooked up to power or earthed and could find nothing , im thinking he could have possibly fried the BCM ? It has a MID 313 BCM .

Could the BCM be the cause of the electrical crackling noise coming from the ABS unit when the ignition is turned on , could the two symptom's be related ? ..... ABS unit causing the BCM to tick or the BCM causing the ABS unit to crackle ?.....got me ####ed ??

cheers for the help mate.

fanga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0ltr V8
I have also inspected the wiring following the negative and positive back from the battery and it all looked to be ok except for the alternator connection , there was a lot of corrosion but I was lucky enough to have slack in the line and cut then reattach another connection.... thank #### !
iv had a sus at all the fuses too.
Looks like its prob going to be a new BCM and key at least....bugger . The BCM tick stops when all the doors are locked so its related to the central locking some how I guess.

fanga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0ltr V8
Had a better look at it today and tried disconnecting the drivers door lock actuator and bingo the noise from the BCM stopped , thank #### I don't have to fork out for another BCM and the bulsshit that goes along with it . Hopefully a new door actuator will fix the problem . Next on to the ABS electrical crackle noise at ignition on , will post results when I have them , hope this can help someone out there having the same issues , cheers.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I'm interested to hear the results, as this isn't the first time I've seen these symptoms- nobody has ever had the patience to delve into them, so never any answers on the subject.. Good luck and let us know.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Fanga, can you explain the BCM clicking and drivers lock actuator. I can't see how they are related, or was the noise always the lock tapping and not BCM?