Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

are the tail-shafts interchangeable ? i have 230 and replacement is 130

D

devilly

all good :) i forgot they spin them and add the weights according to the weld.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

devilly

oh and i think the 130 stamp and 230 stamp are the times they are made is what a good friend told me :) no longer a friend more a foe now.

Last edited by a moderator:

robbhibb

Reaction score
Members Ride
spuer charged vu ute
no they have different weights and should not be replaced without marking the flange points front and rear this will cause harmonics

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I've mixed and matched them before. From what I've heard each half is neutrally balanced so it shouldn't matter as long as the uni's are kept in phase

D

devilly

thanks for that job is done all good :) no problems, i just marked the original to flange e.t.c and then put the marks on rebuilt spare lined it up and put back in :) now time to rebuild original and have it as a spare :)

D

devilly

any-one done the center bearing before on these ? mine's the allen key type. i'm up to getting the ring clamp thing off.

D

devilly

gear box started leaking oil but was coming from the tail shaft as the replacement was too short and was clunking as well.

i got lied to again bugger it all,make sure you check the length of them before swapping over.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
definitely different lengths for V8, V6 manual, auto, VT, VZ etc. you need to get the part number for your specific car.

I found I could not get a second hand for my series 1, VX LS1 Auto, had to have mine rebuilt.

D

devilly

i finished rebuilding my original :) put it back in with new uni joints and center bearing and rubber done :) plus i painted it :)

Attachments

• tailshaft.jpg
    tailshaft.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 90

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
apparently there is a common fault that the flanges fatigue over time, this was the other reason I had mine rebuilt, that and not being able to find the right combination for my car.