Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Smell inside car

Secki

Reaction score
Website
www.australianlawenforcement.com.au
Members Ride
VH Wagon SLX 253
ive been having this problem on and off for a while now, sometimes after say an hour on the freeway, then into start stop drving i get the smell of petrol in my cabin. It also happened today, after driving around for about an hour in the city/cronulla.
You cannot smell it from the outside of the car, or under the bonnet, only inside the cabin.

Any ideas people?

PS its a VT SS 5.0l

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Sorry Secki but there is no way that fuel can enter the cabin without coming from either the engine bay or under the vehicle. My guess is the fuel line is leaking at the joint just near the firewall and the smell is coming from the engine bay into the cabin via a hole from a grommet that may be missing or damaged in some way. The reason you may not be finding it so easy is that fuel evaporates incredibly quickly in a hot engine bay. Hope this helps but I would really need to see the car to diagnose correctly.

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
could be ur injectors, have a look 2 c if u can c any leaks...
i had the same problem with my vl.....

phild257

Phil
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5.0L
Most probably your vapour (carbon) canister. This canister filters fuel vapour from the fuel tank through carbon. If the carbon becoms clogged or the vent hose bocomes blocked, you can get petrol smells inside the cabin, esp on hot days or after comming to a stop.