Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

serpentine belt

D

drd180

how do I change the serpentine belt, one of the strips pealed off today, would it still be safe to drive

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Use a 15mm ring spanner to release the tension on the belt by turning belt tensioner idler pulley anticlockwise

Remove the serpentine belt and fit new serpentine belt using reverse above procedure

It would be ok to drive still but get it changed ASAP

R

Ralgon

if you cant remember the way the belt ges after removal check your manual, it has a diagram. good idea to carry a spare just in case. Very hard to jerry rig if they break

kojamoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
I have done 2 Serpentine belts in around 20km so i think there is something wrong other than just worn belts. My problem is that the mechanic is about 5km away and i was wondering if there was any way i can get my car to the mechanic without a serpentine belt without blowing up the engine and the power steering etc.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I would say there is a problem with one of your pulleys or harmonic balancer because my car has done over 250,000 kms and I've replaced the belt once. I would have a very close look at your pulleys to see if they are damaged, warped or not turning freely. I would also advise you against driving without the belt as I once started my car without the belt and it didn't feel or sound too good.