Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are some common problems with the VTII SS

Cashy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Raven Mica
I'm looking at upgrading the VRSS to the VTIISS and I was wanting to know what are the common problems they have, and is there anything I really need to check on the car before buying it.

It's a 4 speed Automatic, 5.7L V8.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I don't know of any problems exclusive to the VTII SS but some of the gen3 motors are notorius for their oil consumption.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Yep oil consumption problems, but only on a extremelty small minority of them.

Most of the ones that were problematic would have been fixed now under warranty.

Check for service history and check the rear tyres for unevern tyre wear.

Apart from that they are usually pretty robust cars.

Cashy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Raven Mica
Thanks guys, I'm taking it for a test drive tomorrow. If I notice anything out of the blue that I don't know about, I let you know.

VZLAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Cashy said:
Thanks guys, I'm taking it for a test drive tomorrow. If I notice anything out of the blue that I don't know about, I let you know.

you will notice the power difference emediately lol

Terry

S

Sherman

Just letting you know that those Gen 3 V8's apprently needed to be fixed with custom parts to recitfy the oil consumption problems (so I was told). One of my bosses bought a Monaro V8 and already its having a ticking problem and he was told that this is the begining of the oil consumption problem as well. He is getting it repaired by Holden asap. Requires a complete engine rebuild. The oil consumption problem extends right up to the VX series so you would best to enquire if the modifications have been done to the vehicle. Most VX Clubsport owners required engine rebuilds when the oil consumption/ticking sounds materlised and Holden was forced to do something about it due to the massive public outcry.
In fact it was not a small minority of vehicles effected but it was in fact a majority issue and a major problem with the engine itself. What ever the case be very weary when you go to buy.

235rwkw

Reaction score
less vts have less noise and oil issues than vx's, they had more. VY1 and some vy2 are also getting rebuilds for oil and noise still.

the noise when cold warm doesn't effect the motor at all, its noise. because it has noise cold warm doesn't mean it will get oil issues as well. these motors have run up too 500,000 k's with no major engine work. just the normal stuff water pumps ps pumps, belts etc.