Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Replacement Keys

ClemCommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Ute 2011
Are there any other outlets other than a Holden Dealer that will be able to issue and re-code heads on the keys.

The ruber buttons on all my keys have become brittal. The Keys work Okay, looking for a cheaper alternative than what Holden offer.

Thanks for any help you offer.

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Try Mr Minit - some of there outlets now offer Holden keys but not much cheaper - They cut a new key and supply a new remote attached programmed from an existing remote. You have to first unlock and start car with old key then remove key insert new key and start. All this for $89 a far cry from the $90 from the dealer isn't it?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Buy a key pad of ebay for like $40 or $45 i think.. Take it to Stewarts and buy the key blade and get it cut for $25.. They program they keypad for free..

I've also got an HSV keypad.. Which is pretty cool..

All for $65 or $70..

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Shounak said:
Buy a key pad of ebay for like $40 or $45 i think.. Take it to Stewarts and buy the key blade and get it cut for $25.. They program they keypad for free..

I've also got an HSV keypad.. Which is pretty cool..

All for $65 or $70..

Not really worth it when you want it now, wait for an auction to end, wait for it to be posted out... to save some 20-30 bucks.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I got a new key for my VT from a local locksmith. All they do is cut the key, at attach a new 'blank' head to it (the bit with the remote/transponder in.

These keys actually program themselves (that is the car programs it for you). Most cars you have to go to the dealer to get your remote programmed but with many Commys you get the 'blank' key, put it in the ignition and turn it to 'On' for about a minute and the key will be programmed to your car.

So in short, no you don't have to go to Holden, just call up some locksmiths nearby and see who will give you the best deal.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
doesn't all that take away the reason for the security codes? i've seen holden do them for 60 bucks.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
danja said:
I got a new key for my VT from a local locksmith. All they do is cut the key, at attach a new 'blank' head to it (the bit with the remote/transponder in.

These keys actually program themselves (that is the car programs it for you). Most cars you have to go to the dealer to get your remote programmed but with many Commys you get the 'blank' key, put it in the ignition and turn it to 'On' for about a minute and the key will be programmed to your car.

So in short, no you don't have to go to Holden, just call up some locksmiths nearby and see who will give you the best deal.

A blank key is exactly that...blank, the car will not program it in any way.
The keys from a locksmith are partially programmed by the locksmith using either a working key you have or the BCM security pin number, this program then finalises when the numbers match when its in the car.
How stupid would it be if any wally could buy a key & put it in your car & drive it away?

ROb

spiroshome

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais
Cheapest key cutter i know

The cheapest guy I know is at Carribean Gardens Market in Scoresby, Melbourne.Hes ther on Wednesdays and Fridays. Hes also at Geelong Showgrounds Market On Sundays. He does them for $69 Complete with blade and programmed. and its all done in the Shop too in around 10 minutes.
Most other car Transponder keys are $65. His number is 0431 251 551.[/SIZE]