Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT gearbox

moodecow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive s2 5speed
Hey guys
i have been quoted upwards of $1800 to re-condition my gearbox, the reason behind this is there are bearings that only holden make. can anybody clarify this for me
(its just a standard 5 speed)

thanks heaps

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Most of the boxes that I have quoted before have all been around the $1200 mark and that is going back a few years. You must remember that you cannot see inside the box until the box is stripped and the parts checked to see their condition and what can be salvaged or reused if necessary. Yes some of the bearings may be from Holden specific but without getting the numbers off the bearings themselves you cannot check other suppliers. With the cost of some parts today that price seems possiblt the worst case scenario. Is this including R & R the box from the car as well? Is the clutch also included in the price? You havent really given enough information as to the job!

moodecow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive s2 5speed
i didnt get too much info from the mechanic, i know the cost of the clutch is not included. the $1800 was total amount i would be charged for the box to be fixed.

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Another question to ask is what the warranty is for the box to be fixed. It should be at least 12mths or 20,000klm parts and labour if his quality is any good. What is a secondhand box worth? The mechanic should be giving you an itemised account of his work and all removed or changed parts should be returned to you for inspection as you own them!! Thats what I do for my customers. Have you tried getting an exchange box that gets bolted straight into the vehicle? Some options anyway!!

moodecow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive s2 5speed
i haven't really looked into till now. im a bit of a newb when it comes to mechanical bits.