Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cooling system

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I think this has been asked before but i can't find the thread .What are those pellets for that you put in your cooling system in the V6 engines ?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
What do you mean "what are they"? I think they're made of walnut shells..

I used them in my cooling system. Bought a pack of 3 from Holden for 5 or 6 bucks. I think it stops the corrosion of the welsh plugs, not 100%..

But worth using..

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
let me re phrase that . What i meant to say is what is their purpose in life.
What do they do ¿

mrbobcool

mrbobcool
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Had a pink coloured waxy substance leak from the front of my Gem 3 that ended up near the oil filter. What could it be?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
mrbobcool said:
Had a pink coloured waxy substance leak from the front of my Gem 3 that ended up near the oil filter. What could it be?
Water pump, thermostat, radiator hose, heater core.. And how waxy?

The GenIII coolant is pinky/red, but shouldn't be waxy.. Take a closer look or even take a pic.. What I listed above are reasons why coolant could be leaking, and have it end up near the oil filter..

It could also be power steering fluid or trans oil, from the cooler hoses.. That's reddish and should be very oily.. Probably because it is oil..

mrbobcool

mrbobcool
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Thanks for your answer, I will pull the sump plate off and have another look as I only noticed it when I gave an oil change as it had ran down the filter.
I thought it may have been some sort of built in over heating warning device but I havn't noticed the engine running hot at any stage. Thanks again and I will let you know if I ever work it out.

Regards

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Temperature hit half way, thermo fan kicked in, but the oferflow bottle was still cold.
Is this normal or does the cap only open to circulate water when the engine is off?
Do not waste your money on a high flow thermostat, kids.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The overflow/expansion tank/reservoir should not get warn unless something serious happens. The radiator cap regulates pressure in the cooling system, as the engine heats up pressure increases and a small amount of warm coolant will bypass the radiator cap into the expansion tank. Then, once the engine is off and cools pressure in the cooling system will drop and create a small amount of suction which will pull that coolant back into the radiator (via the radiator cap) from the expansion tank.

If there are no leaks and you get to know your car, you should be able to identify the "normal" cold engine and operating temp coolant levels in the expansion tank. No need to remove the radiator cap, just pop the bonnet and look at the tank hot or cold.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I put a knew cap on the radiator regardless. The old one felt squishy when securing.