Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stuffed alternator

M

MWells

Hi guys,

hope some of you can help me.

My Dad has a VX SS auto with 105000kms. She's been leaking power steering fluid for the past year and so inevitably the alternator seems stuffed, at least according to the mechanics who are charging over $1,000 for replaced and fitted.

This alternator seems very hard to find and is it true it cannot be rebuilt?:unsure:

I'm just going to have to find one from a wreckers somewhere. Does anyone here know of a wreckers, preferably in Melbourne's Sth East where we may be able to find one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Cheers,

Matt

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
$1000 bucks to get the alternator replaced? ? ? ?
What the? ? ? ?

So they told u that the power steering leaking has cause the alternator to die? That aside, it should be now more than a couple hundred dollar job, (replacement included).

Get either a new one or a reco'd one, dont go to the wreckers

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Exact same thing happened to me in my old vt, alternator was beyond repair(had a look at it) so had to bite the bullet and get a new one, At least $1000 from memory.Next week i traded it for my vy, cheaper alternators!:p

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I bought a bosch alternator at Repco for between $150 - $200, Ican't remember the exact price as it was about a year ago. I took about 15 minutes to replace. $1000 is a huge rip-off. Repco also have steering pumps for under $200, or a seal kit from holden for $16 and they are not that difficult to do yourself.
Edit: I just realized you are talking about a V8 and I'm talking V6.I don't know if there is a big difference.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
There aint much diffence when it comes to alternators though. . . .
1000 buck is just plain highway robbery!!!
I had one replace in my old VS 170 bucks installed.

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
MWells, where are you located?

M

MWells

Thanks for your help guys. From the looks of it, its gonna be expensive whichever way we go. Funny thing is the power steering pump began leaking 2 years ago when still under warranty, had he fixed it then we'd be right. D'OH!:hit:

It's at Holden now, but we said to them don't touch it we'll supply one ourselves... hopefuly... somehow...

grafxworld

KLRBASS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTR EXEC S1 - SOLD off
mine was only 170 bucks , new model not rebuilt. 1000 bucks would be for the power steering geer as well it sounds like. that can get expensive if the rack is dead.