Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeaky serpentine belt

Greg_Sian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore, VT S 97
I have a squeaky noise coming from 'fan' belt in my v6 97 vt, i rang 2 mechanics to see how much, 1st said $65.00 fitted and 2nd said $90 fitted. The 2nd basically told me it is a quick job to do and checking another forum i found out it takes the average Joe about 5 mins. He also said it could be one of the pulleys that are making the noise. So my questions to you all are:

1> How much is the belt, retail and wholesale?
2> How would you check the pulley (besides turning it with the belt off) and how much are pulleys (seems to be the self tensioner one)
3> the belt seems to be 'sliding off centre of the tensioner pulley, i've reset it with old belt on, but it still moves over.
4> The BIG question is pleeeease does anyone know how much a mechanic should charge, because i want to find a local mechanic i can trust is not spinning stories and rippin me off.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
i'm a mechanic and i'd charge about $90 including belt and extra if pulleys were stuffed, it is an easy job, give it a go, just draw a picture of what the belt looks like b4 removing

Greg_Sian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore, VT S 97
Cool, i took the old one off and turned it around (more for seeing if i could do it than for a cure!). done it easy.. any thoughts on the belt that is right on the edge of tensioner pulley, theres normally about 5mm i'd say but mine is about 2mm max, looks like it could slip off, or is causing the noise because it is moving belt across on trailing pulleys....:confused:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'd say the pulley bearing is worn and the pulley is not sitting straight anymore causing the belt to move off centre. Around $30 - $40 for a new pulley.

cuckoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 twin Turbo
accentstencil said:
I'd say the pulley bearing is worn and the pulley is not sitting straight anymore causing the belt to move off centre. Around $30 - $40 for a new pulley.
dont get the crappy plastic ones get the metal ones
Cuckoo

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Could also be the tensioner assembly, if the tensioner pulley is not sitting true with the other pulleys,

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
hkmonaro68 said:
Could also be the tensioner assembly, if the tensioner pulley is not sitting true with the other pulleys,

exactly right. the spring in the idler tensioner is worn. try first to squirt a shite load of wd40 in the small opening in the top of the tensioner. you should see a tiny bit of the spring inside. get a 15mm spanner and move the tensioner up and down alot of times after you squirt the wd40 inside. if it still squeeks then replace the tensioner.

Greg_Sian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore, VT S 97
It's still under stat warranty anyway, so the car yard will get a call Monday, will post the results later in week